Summer Sailing on the West Coast

NormanS

Visit site
Just back from a six week trip. First couple of weeks were mostly too windy, with several down wind passages with just half the jib. The next month was mostly fairly calm. Spent a whole week around some of the many anchorage in the two Loch Roags (West Lewis) and only saw one other yacht there.

SaltIre

Visit site
A satellite pass over Skye has revealed swarms of midges. Best to stay on the Solent folks.
Skyemidge.jpg

adwuk

Visit site
We were heading North today with a plan to get to Floddaymore, but thick fog moved South and covered the Uists while we were tacking offshore. As we were heading towards Canna at the time, we had a rethink, and decided to continue ahead. Canna is busy as you would expect, but still room for a couple more. No aerial shots today as the National Trust forbid it.

ctva

Visit site
Something about that suggests you're a Millenial.

I've sailed up that way, intermittently, over the decades and usually in OPBs. I've used what was provided - mostly hefty CQRs with lots of sound chain - and always, always, made the anchor-tackle work. Never has an anchor 'failed me'.

I'm tempted to think it's more likely the other way round.....

;)
You are my new best friend, I’d love to be young enough to be a millennial. ?

Unfortunately, I’m end of line baby boomer material.

Anyway, yes CQRs used to be staple but with a quick look round here in he twilight, I’d say 50% NG, 30% Deltas, Kobras and the remaining ones, CQR, Bruce, and others. My current set up is a Rocna with oversized chain, works for me and I sleep at anchor.

zoidberg

Visit site
Unfortunately, I’m end of line baby boomer material.

Anyway, yes CQRs used to be staple but with a quick look round here in he twilight, I’d say 50% NG, 30% Deltas, Kobras and the remaining ones, CQR, Bruce, and others. My current set up is a Rocna with oversized chain, works for me and I sleep at anchor.

Sleep sound, bro!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Interesting about the aerial / drone shots. Any idea what basis they have to prevent this?

From Visitor FAQ | National Trust for Scotland

Can I fly a drone at Trust places?
Before flying drones (or unmanned aerial vehicles), you’ll need permission from the Filming Manager. We also ask that you have public liability insurance of at least £2 million in place and have obtained a Flyer ID and Operator ID from the Civil Aviation Authority. All drones should be marked with your Operator ID. For commercial operators, drone usage must be carried out by a pilot accredited by the Civil Aviation Authority.

The Trust welcomes drone usage on its properties but there may be areas and times where drones are not allowed, for example: during events, close to protected buildings or during wildlife breeding seasons. These rules are in place to keep wildlife and our buildings safe, and to create an enjoyable visitor experience for everyone.

If you’re planning to bring your drone to a Trust place, you must make sure that you follow any advice about areas where you cannot fly. You must also agree to follow all legal requirements for flying a drone and abide by the Drone and Model Aircraft Code 2019.

To apply to fly a drone on a Trust property, please contact the Trust’s Filming Manager by emailing filming@nts.org.uk, who will respond within a week.

Please also read our Policy on the use of small unmanned aircraft (drones) at Trust places.

adwuk

Visit site
The law varies depending on the size of a drone. Mine is smaller than the important 250g, but I still have a flyers licence eventhough it's not necessary. I don't think the National Trust can enforce their rules, but they do have a reputation for overzealous employees trying to seize drones when flown on or near their property. A sign at the ferry slip stating drones prohibited leads me to think there may be one here.

dunedin

Visit site
From Visitor FAQ | National Trust for Scotland

Can I fly a drone at Trust places?
Before flying drones (or unmanned aerial vehicles), you’ll need permission from the Filming Manager. We also ask that you have public liability insurance of at least £2 million in place and have obtained a Flyer ID and Operator ID from the Civil Aviation Authority. All drones should be marked with your Operator ID. For commercial operators, drone usage must be carried out by a pilot accredited by the Civil Aviation Authority.

The Trust welcomes drone usage on its properties but there may be areas and times where drones are not allowed, for example: during events, close to protected buildings or during wildlife breeding seasons. These rules are in place to keep wildlife and our buildings safe, and to create an enjoyable visitor experience for everyone.

If you’re planning to bring your drone to a Trust place, you must make sure that you follow any advice about areas where you cannot fly. You must also agree to follow all legal requirements for flying a drone and abide by the Drone and Model Aircraft Code 2019.

To apply to fly a drone on a Trust property, please contact the Trust’s Filming Manager by emailing filming@nts.org.uk, who will respond within a week.

Please also read our Policy on the use of small unmanned aircraft (drones) at Trust places.
I wonder whether that has any legal basis at all?
I am aware of and comply with the new UK (and EU) drone registration and flight rules. This is effectively what they refer to in the third para, which is basically "adhere to UK law".
But not aware that NTS have any rights to add additional rules for airspace over Canna or any other properties.

awol

Visit site
Do nesting birds feel threatened by a hovering drone? If they do get disturbed then that seems a good reason ...... or it could be there is a secret Bond-villain type secret lair hidden in the cliffs with external silo tubes or laser cannons they don't want you to see. Remember the only reason the police visit is to check gun licences - your drone could be in danger!

Shuggy

Visit site
We’re just back from two weeks away. Ardfern - Coll - Vatersay - Sandray - Lochboisdale (to shelter from an F7) - Grimsay - Ronay - Canna - Tobermory - Tiree - Ross of Mull - Oronsay - Loch Tarbert Jura - Crinan - Ardfern. Weather was a bit rubbish from Ronay through to Tobers but otherwise great. Kite up a few times to stretch the teenage crew and the sailing was in general great. We used 50 litres of diesel so more sailing than motoring. Coming back over the Minch was fast and fun. General observations were that anchoring in the Western Isles was quiet (we had Sandray and Ronay to ourselves) but that everywhere else was quite busy. Tobermory was welcoming but the Ross of Mull was mobbed. Found several new to us places and met some nice people, many of whom were English and were enjoying the west coast for the first time. Found Namara seafood in Kallin Harbour and as usual spent a few quid in Tobermory Fish up the hill. For a change we broke very little but didn’t get a chance to use the Scuba gear, opting instead for lots of snorkelling. Ardfern was rammed this morning and we borrowed a friend’s berth to get the kit off the boat. Our new huge solar capacity meant that the kids could charge everything all of the time and the fridge was on 24/7 without the batteries complaining. All in all a great cruise.