Summer Sailing on the West Coast

ctva

Visit site
If only the temperature was >10C

Is this better...

Whilst it has been a wee bit warm over the past few weeks, the Crinan canal is tropical. Check the water temp, 2’ below the surface… ?

4D5EBEF5-EBF2-4B8F-B507-89DE45EF373C.jpeg

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
We’ve never stopped on Staffa, on my list at some point, pics?

PS you never waved when you passed, we were on the West of Jura at the weekend. Where are you heading next?

SaltIre

Visit site
I've stopped at Staffa - once. Motored all the way from Tobermory to Bunessan in my Sadler 25 in 1990. It was a flat calm... Anchored off Staffa and all went ashore. Masterplan was to play "Fingal's Cave" in Fingal's Cave - but discovered I'd left the cassette tape in the car stereo.:rolleyes:
Next time was in my Moody 336 ~2005. I didn't fancy anchoring so my three crew went ashore by dinghy while I sailed around off the east coast. They somehow managed to get off the beach and back on board. A bit dodgy to be honest.
Image23.JPG

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've stopped at Staffa - once. Motored all the way from Tobermory to Bunessan in my Sadler 25 in 1990. It was a flat calm... Anchored off Staffa and all went ashore. Masterplan was to play "Fingal's Cave" in Fingal's Cave - but discovered I'd left the cassette tape in the car stereo.:rolleyes:
Next time was in my Moody 336 ~2005. I didn't fancy anchoring so my three crew went ashore by dinghy while I sailed around off the east coast. They somehow managed to get off the beach and back on board. A bit dodgy to be honest.
View attachment 119674
I've passed Staffa (and had a gander at Fingal's Cave) several times, but I really don't fancy trying to land there. One day I'll take a trip with the nice guys who run the tour boats from Ulva Ferry.

SaltIre

Visit site
I've passed Staffa (and had a gander at Fingal's Cave) several times, but I really don't fancy trying to land there. One day I'll take a trip with the nice guys who run the tour boats from Ulva Ferry.
In 1990 they were improving the landing stage on Staffa. There was a caravan for the workers, and a helicopter was flying back and forwards between it and Mull, with a hopper full of pre-mixed concrete that got released above wooden shuttering. It took a wee while for us to work out what was going on as we chugged nearer at ~4 knots!
Having been ashore once I happily let the others go ashore in 2005...

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site
A short video of our trip this year - a lot less sailing, more diesel consumed than normal, but we were able to visit places that you wouldn't ordinarily consider.

That's very good indeed! I keep meaning to buy a drone and was kicking myself many times this cruise for not having one, what one did you use?

adwuk

Visit site
That's very good indeed! I keep meaning to buy a drone and was kicking myself many times this cruise for not having one, what one did you use?

Thanks - I used a DJI Mini 2, which is under the all important 250g weight limit for simpler licensing. It still takes 4K video, although I only use HD as my PC can't really handle the much larger files. There are plenty of instructional guides around to get the most out of it. The best accessory is a small 3D printed handle that allows much easier retrieval from a moving boat, and reduces the risk of you losing your fingers, the drone or both :)

dunedin

Visit site
The best accessory is a small 3D printed handle that allows much easier retrieval from a moving boat, and reduces the risk of you losing your fingers, the drone or both :)
Thread drift but …… can you point me to an example of the handle you refer to. Only launched my Mini1 once under sail and was a bit of a nightmare getting back on board safely.

adwuk

Visit site
Thread drift but …… can you point me to an example of the handle you refer to. Only launched my Mini1 once under sail and was a bit of a nightmare getting back on board safely.

I bought mine here - took a while to come, and you think you will break it when putting it on, but its more flexible than it appears.

Members online

No members online now.