Suggestions for a Western Isles cruise

awol

Visit site
I have not heard of single-sided pontoon use at Kip, Largs or other Clyde marinas whereas it seems to be the way out west. After the brilliant May and June weather normal service has been resumed - just how many days and nights of dreich chill can visiting sailors endure without stretching their legs?

Humblebee

Visit site

boomerangben

Visit site
2 weeks from Oban - sound idilic. I hope you get the weather.

My favourite places around there...... (I've never been to the south)

Tinkers Hole
Loch Don
Loch a Chumhainn
Loch Sunart, particularly Sailean More on the north side of Oronsay,
Eigg,
Loch Moidart
Rum (not very attractive anchorage, but some great high level walking)
Loch Scavaig on Skye - walking around Loch Coruisk is spectacular (but avoid in strong winds, especially from N)
Acairsaig Mhor on Rona and Raasay has some nice views for the walkers,
Badachro
The list goes on and on. Outer Hebrides if you get some nice weather, Mingulay is superb, needs to be settled for an overnight but worth a day trip from say Vatersay.

I must admit I found Tobermory a little disappointing but it was cold and wet that day, Portree would be good to visit the Old Man of Storr, and the Quiraing (need a bus or hire a bike)

Quandary

Visit site
Years back, before the pontoons went in, we were doing WHYW but it was a particularly cold and dreich day so we skipped the 'round Lismore' and tied the dinghy up to the ladder outside the Mish, the day did not improve and the tide came up, covered the painter and we were marooned. It was so cold that at some point I must have left the bar and gone down the street, bought a Fubar fleece in the chandlery as I still have it to this day. We were not the only deserter, nearly all the Irish boats were in there.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've been giving it a lot of thought and have decided that this year we will - probably - confine ourselves to the Firth of Clyde, Ayrshire and Galloway with perhaps a jaunt down/across to Norn Iron if weather conditions permit. The situation may change, of course, but it seems to me that the riskiest places to be in Scotland over the summer will be those which attract English tourists, and I do not want to go down with COVID-19 while out in the wilds.

Last edited:

awol

Visit site
There are a lot of refugees from the south who keep their boats in Clyde and west coast marinas. Long before our 5 mile limit was dropped, while I was conducting a necessary eye test, I took the ropes of an HR42 (with gloves and left them dangling >2m off the pontoon) which had a group of adults from Newcastle on board taking their 1st sail of the season. I have no idea what proportion of boats are owned by foreigners but I suggest that the Duck may not be able to avoid them unless he stays on board.

wully1

Visit site
There are now a fair few yotties kicking about these parts now-no where near normal numbers though- and everyone is following the rules.
Holiday houses are filling up and booking are coming thick and fast for the empty weeks. Maybe there will be part of a normal summer yet.

Most folk seem welcoming to the visitors but that will no doubt change if/when the infection rate goes up....

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have no idea what proportion of boats are owned by foreigners but I suggest that the Duck may not be able to avoid them unless he stays on board.

Good point. We're not great marina users and we will be suitably masked in the presence of strangers. However, if I am going to go down with COVID-19 I'd much rather it happened on the Clyde than out in the wilds. It's a year for caution, I think.

Most folk seem welcoming to the visitors but that will no doubt change if/when the infection rate goes up....

Same here in the deep south. The outbreak in Gretna and Annan is said to have come from a nurse working in Carlisle who went to an illegal pool party and spread it there. This area, like yours, depends on tourist money but there is definitely apprehension about what else they might bring.