Suggested Itinery

G

Does anyone have experience of taking a yacht from Lefkas/Corfu to Lavrion (Athens)? I have sailed many times in the North and South Ionian (flotilla and bareboat) and noticed that there are some very good deals late in the season (latesail.com) for bareboat charter picking up at Corfu or Lefkas island (probably Lefkas town, Sivota or Nikkiana) and finishing at Lavrion. I've only ever gone as far south as Euphemea on Cephalonia so what I want to know is what would be a reasonable passage plan to get to Lavrion both in a 1 week and 2 week timescale taking our time, what are good places to stop at on the way? Anybody got any comments about flights/ferries - ie if you're picking up at Lefkas, flying in to Preveza but out of Athens vs Flying in to Athens then getting a ferry to Levkas vs a one-way flight into Preveza and a one-way flight out of Athens. How easy is it to get one-way flights to Preveza? - I know that one-way flights to/from Athens can be got - Easyjet - but I'm not sure about into/out of Preveza? Any comments? People who have done this before will no doubt have investigated these options and so I'd like to hear their views. What about going through the Corinth canal - hassle? cost? timings? tips? Any info and general advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Fewkeste

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
I've twice sailed from the Ionian to the Corinth Canal and once passed through the canal. The north coast of the Gulf of Corinth is well worth visiting. Just after leaving the Ionian there is Mesalongi which I found to be very friendly. Be careful to pass through the Rion / Anti-Rion narrows before the afternoon winds pick up because they frequently reach gale force for 10 or so miles each side. The island of Trizonia, with its half finished (free) marina is very pretty. Galaxidhion is charming and well worth a call but beware of a local drunk who thinks that he is the harbourmaster - he causes a lot of confusion but little harm. Its easy to get a bus from there to Itea and then another to visit Delphi.

Get your timing right to go through the Corinth canal during normal working hours as the price goes up at other times or at weekends or national holidays. It cost me 27,199 GDR to take a 10 metre yacht through in 2000 during normal working hours.

You can get internal flights from Athens to Preveza but I've used the KTEL bus and found it to be comfortable and inexpensive. I don't think that there are any ferries from Athens to Levkas - you need first to get a bus to Patras.

Enjoy your trip,

Regards,

G

Thanks for your comments - This KTEL bus you refer to - does it go between Athens airport and Lefkas island or is it Athens airport to Preveza? How long does it take approximately? What does it cost can you remember? Do you know where it stops on Lefkas if it stops on Levkas?

Fewkeste

Visit site
On Tuesdays...

... the canal is closed for dredging soa avoid that. Also there are currently strikes which can hold you up for quite a while. Wevlost two days. Make sure that you call the office - on Ch11 to get your turn in the queue. Milling around in the inner breakwater as described in some pilot books isn't too good an idea due to wash from exiting craft. They only travel one way at a time (alternately) and sizes vary. You could be between a cruise ship and an LPG gas carrier. when you get to the Athens end you need to moor up to pay. This can take up to two hours because of short staff - the reason for most of the strikes. Mooring can be difficult due to wash but the quay is fendered with quite soft yellow butyl rubber for most of its length. At Athens Pireaus harbour is strictly commercial, Kalamaki (our home base) is hectic. Zea is good as is any one of the Glyfadah's.

Winds in the gulf as said can funnel up in the afternoon. We got 13knots out of our Bavaria42 surfing down waves in F7-8 with Tuna leaping over waves to keep up with us. Very wild! Everyone should experience the gulf though. Corinth harbour is tiny but shelter is good as are the tavernas.

Steve Cronin

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
KTEL have their own web site - the home page is http://www.ktel.org and the Lefkas timetable is at
http://www.ktel.org/lefkada/en/athens.htm

The buses are based in the main long distance bus terminal in Athens. We took a taxi from the old airport to the bus station. You must tell the taxi driver the bus destination because there is another bus station for local routes.

We took a bus to Corfu - a much longer journey than Lefkas (it includes the ferry at Preveza and the Ignoumenitsa to Corfu trip). It must have taken about 8 hours. I guess the run to Lefkas would be more like 4 hours.

From memory, it cost about £14 single, so Lefkas should be closer to £10.

From the KTEL web site it seems that they stop at Lefkas town. It shouldn't be a problem getting a local bus to any of the popular destinations.

If you are concerned about the canal being open then call them on 0741 37700 or email at
dioryga@athena.Compulink.gr

Regards,