Suez blocked.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Plenty of “not very busy” high horsepower anchor handling tugs and quite possibly an offshore crane or two in the Arabian Gulf. Might need a week...
Of course, one forgets there is a big world outside the Ionian and Mediterranean. Next question ... is the Suez canal pilot to blame or is the captain of the ship still responsible? In other words, who pays?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Of course, one forgets there is a big world outside the Ionian and Mediterranean. Next question ... is the Suez canal pilot to blame or is the captain of the ship still responsible? In other words, who pays?

That’s easy!

Let me put it this way: a couple of years ago we got a big bill for damage to one of the SCA tugs caused by one of our ships. The crew couldn’t remember even seeing the tug. None the less we handed over the US$92k like lambs and put it down to it being our turn.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
That’s easy!

Let me put it this way: a couple of years ago we got a big bill for damage to one of the SCA tugs caused by one of our ships. The crew couldn’t remember even seeing the tug. None the less we handed over the US$92k like lambs and put it down to it being our turn.
Wow. I thought those days of backsheesh were long gone with the Arab Spring. Thought it was only yachts that got picked on. Thanks for the answer. Fascinating events normally outside ybw subjects.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
That’s easy!

Been looking on vessel finder ...gives a teensy idea of the scale of the problem. 7 tugs on evergreen already....

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Wow. I thought those days of backsheesh were long gone with the Arab Spring. Thought it was only yachts that got picked on. Thanks for the answer. Fascinating events normally outside ybw subjects.

I think you will know the mariners’ expression “Marlboro Country” - it starts in the Black Sea and extends to Victoria Point (now Kawthaung) - the border post between Myanmar and Thailand.

Last edited:

Tradewinds

Visit site
I think you will know the mariners’ expression “Marlboro Country” - it starts in the Black Sea and extends to Victoria Point (now Kawthaung) - the border post between Myanmar and Burma.
Ha ha. That's what we carried when we transited the Suez (took 2 days) back in '98 on our yacht. We wrapped them in a certain way so the 'gift' looked much more imposing. Made sure we didn't hand them over until the pilots were leaving Rose. To be fair we had 2 really nice pilots, some other yachts at the time had a bit of a nightmare with theirs.

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Ha ha. That's what we carried when we transited the Suez (took 2 days) back in '98 on our yacht. We wrapped them in a certain way so the 'gift' looked much more imposing. Made sure we didn't had them over until the pilots were leaving Rose. To be fair we had 2 really nice pilots, some other yachts at the time had a bit of a nightmare with theirs.
I like the famous Tommy Cooper tip. Hands an envelope to the taxi driver. "Have a drink on me" the envelope contained a single tea bag.

Bilgediver

Visit site

Might be going for Chiefy as it seems totally lost propulsion and electrics. :(