Studland Bay - what you need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNLI

Visit site
studland-mooring.jpg
Excellent, no idea what the final ballasted weight of my 27ft lifeboat will be, but it sure will be a lot less than 10T, wild guess but 2.5T might be possible. Never seen a mooring look so cool, no dirty line to pull up, might even have a WiFi repeater.

oldharry

Visit site
I regard this as a positive outcome: providing us with free moorings can only be a good thing from everyones point of view. Forget whether they are needed or not. For many of us, provided they are safe, its a lot easier just to tie up rather than set and recover the ground tackle! As long as we CAN continue to use ground tackle if we choose, I have no issue with this.

Arguably it sets a clear precedent that if conservationists want us to stop anchoring, they must provide us with a safe free alternative. That seems to me eminently reasonable as a way forward. They have done it in Studland,so why not elsewhere?

It wont make any difference to the seagrass, or the denizens therof, equine or otherwise, but dont lets looka gift horse in the mouth. The recent publicity given to the importance of seagrass by apparently reputable scientific bodies means that anchoring constraints will increase along the coast. Beaulieu river has already banned anchoring in the river mouth to protect the non existent seagrass. Science doesnt matter any more, legislation is firmly based on opinions not fact, with a hefty bias to the Precautionary Principle. 'It might be doing harm, so lets ban it anyway just in case' is sufficnet causation for new legislation. With the precedent of providing a safe alternative for users we have a way forward in all this!

Status
Not open for further replies.