Streptoverticillium reticulum

Ian_Rob

Visit site
After dragging our inflatable behind us in the Solent for the last 10 days the bottom has become quite stained with a pink dye that apparently comes from the bacteria Streptoverticillium reticulum.

Having read up about it is very difficult to remove. Can anyone recommend a cleaner they have used with any success?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Interesting article here suggests Streptoverticillium reticulum stains the PVC or vinyl itself, it's not (just) on the surface and is, as you said, nigh on impossible to remove: 'That dye cannot be cleaned from the vinyl once it’s there, explains Robitaille. The bacteria that causes pink stain feeds on the plasticizers that impart flexibility to PVC.' Also mentions that Head and Shoulders shampoo (!) kills the bacteria (but presumably that's only useful before the staining).
Beating the pink stain problem in marine fabrics – Specialty Fabrics Review

Consider it anti-theft marking, and save yourself the trouble and cost of trying to remove it?

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I had seen bacterial growth on the bottom before but had never heard about this pink one. The recent heat over 10 days must have provided just the the right moist environment. It hasn’t affected the tubes but rather the loose vinyl skin between them.

There is a cleaner that says it works but at £100 to treat a 4” diameter totally impractical from my POV. I could buy two new inflatables at that price!☹️

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I think it might be another bacterium, or of algal origin, but that’s academic. A check with the maker on compatibility of cleaning agents would be prudent but perhaps inconclusive, and were it mine I’d then decide whether to live with it or make trials on a non-critical part:
Exposing to bright sunlight (if available :rolleyes: ) during and after cleaning, for the action of UV.​
Starting with a percarbonate-based not a chlorine-based stain remover/bleach.​
If that did not work trying (e.g.) oxalic-based, and only finally chlorine-based, products.​
Sorry that’s grandmother-and-eggs obvious, and with no guarantee of removal or of not damaging the material, but a progressive approach at least reduces the risk of the latter. Good luck.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I think it might be another bacterium, or of algal origin, but that’s academic. A check with the maker on compatibility of cleaning agents would be prudent but perhaps inconclusive, and were it mine I’d then decide whether to live with it or make trials on a non-critical part:
Exposing to bright sunlight (if available :rolleyes: ) during and after cleaning, for the action of UV.​
Starting with a percarbonate-based not a chlorine-based stain remover/bleach.​
If that did not work trying (e.g.) oxalic-based, and only finally chlorine-based, products.​
Sorry that’s grandmother-and-eggs obvious, and with no guarantee of removal or of not damaging the material, but a progressive approach at least reduces the risk of the latter. Good luck.

I am sort of content to leave it - unless it worsens. So far it is only on the underside and not visible.

I have washed and left in the sun to see if it that has any bleaching effect on it.

What alternative/s do you think it might be? The stain is beetroot red.

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I am sort of content to leave it - unless it worsens. So far it is only on the underside and not visible.

I have washed and left in the sun to see if it that has any bleaching effect on it.

What alternative/s do you think it might be? The stain is beetroot red.

I'm not a biologist, but Serratia marcescens is common and known to produce reddish staining, as I'm pretty sure will some other bacteria, too - and some phytoplankton are red (as in 'red tides'). As I said, it's academic and I was mainly wondering about the reasons for your pretty definite and specific attribution - though the beetroot shade to which you refer is consistent with it.

Short of using bleaches that might be deleterious to the fabric (where I made my usual point about starting with the chemically 'milder' end of the spectrum) I think exposure to bright sunshine is the best course - and, conveniently, the easiest course in hot weather!

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Well it was the beetroot colour and that it known to occur on vinyl in marine environments.

I hope you are wrong but for no other reason than Serratia marcescens seems to be a considerable hazard to human health. I did spray with a disinfectant before significantly touching it but…..?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
A tin of red PVC paint must be in contention seeing as this is PBO. :p

Away with your bourgeoise decadent Yachting Monthly type chandler-chasing nonsense. The true PBOer will surely be mixing his (sic) own concoction of red lead, cochineal, linseed oil, turps, molasses and donkey pee, to a recipe suggested by some drunken old salt down the pub who vaguely remembers watching his mate's elder brother doing it once in the 1940s.