Strength of M10 threaded rod

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. The transom is hollow all 3mm aluminium.

I will use U bolts lower down being careful not to overtigbten & bend the aluminium. This will let me use a strop, either wire or dyneema. At least being ali I don't have to worry about the transom strength.

The davits are good old Electric SL 175's installed in 2000. Rather substantial as are the mountings to my GB's transom. No problems with that installation ?
Add a couple of aluminium pads on either side, say 6mm or 8mm thick and maybe 100mm square, to spread the load over a wider area so that the transom skin doesn't bend.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Some transom plates have an eye to secure a safety lanyard to the outboard. Would this work?
View attachment 94094
Agreed. We've been lifting our dinghy up to our davits with the strop hooked onto an identical loop as that shown in an identical moulding for years. It's annoying when the wire strop scratches the outboard, but I work on the principle that it makes the ancient Yamaha outboard even less likely to get stolen.

Visit site
Agreed. We've been lifting our dinghy up to our davits with the strop hooked onto an identical loop as that shown in an identical moulding for years. It's annoying when the wire strop scratches the outboard, but I work on the principle that it makes the ancient Yamaha outboard even less likely to get stolen.
Dyneema instead of wire might eliminate the scratching.