Strange Nautical Sayings

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Of course in the interests of harmony, one can always ask an ex Royal Marine 'what instrument did you play?'.
I got caught by that once....only once.
Answer now is : 9mm browning pistol; 9mm Sterling sub machine gun; 7.62 Self loading rifle; 7.62 General purpose machine gun; 64mm Light anti tank; 84mm Carl gaustauf anti tank; 2” mortar; and finally phos and frag hand grenades.
They all go bang

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
"May the wind alway be at your back and the sun on your face" Forms part of a celtic blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Doesnt seem to need much translation IMHO, unless into gaelic

BurnitBlue

Visit site
May your testicles turn into triangles and fester at the corners. Wished on me by a Navy (lower deck git) when I identified myself as RAF. This was at that all services accomodation complex in London. Forget the name, "Toc H?" Anyway 5 bob a night unless they were full then billeted in the annex over the road for 4 bob a night. He avoided a punch on the nose by explaining it was an old nautical saying.

Intrigued, I just googled for the name. "Union Jack Club". Those were the days when UK looked after her service men. Half price rail ticket and cheap accomodation in central London for a happy weekend.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
FRED DRIFT ALERT!

That sounds like either you are Sisyphus and the road is always uphill, or you are falling over...
I didnt write it. I presumed it meant that your leaning forward was enough to create a step. However if it was written in gaelic, then it might be a translation issue

That exchange reminds me of what used to be one of my favourite pieces of writing -

'The road was narrow, white, old, hard and scarred with shadow. It ran away westwards in the mist of the early morning, running cunningly through the little hills and going to some trouble to visit tiny towns which were not, strictly speaking, on its way. It was possibly one of the oldest roads in the world. I found it hard to think of a time when there was no road there because the trees and the tall hills and the fine views of bogland had been arranged by wise hands for the pleasing picture they made when looked at from the road. Without a road to have them looked at from they would have a somewhat aimless if not a futile aspect.'

(From Flann O'Brien's 'The Third Policeman')

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
FRED DRIFT ALERT!

That exchange reminds me of what used to be one of my favourite pieces of writing -

'The road was narrow, white, old, hard and scarred with shadow. It ran away westwards in the mist of the early morning, running cunningly through the little hills and going to some trouble to visit tiny towns which were not, strictly speaking, on its way. It was possibly one of the oldest roads in the world. I found it hard to think of a time when there was no road there because the trees and the tall hills and the fine views of bogland had been arranged by wise hands for the pleasing picture they made when looked at from the road. Without a road to have them looked at from they would have a somewhat aimless if not a futile aspect.'

(From Flann O'Brien's 'The Third Policeman')
Mr O Brien exagerates a flowery way of expression to good effect. I also liked The Poor Mouth

sgr143

Visit site
"A Coarse Sailor...: One who in a crisis forgets nautical language and shouts, 'For God's sake turn left.' "
Micheal Green: "The Art of Coarse Sailing", 1962. An invaluable text-book.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
To shake your relief.

'Hey diddle diddle, I had the middle, but you gotta get up, you gotta get up you got the mooooornin.'

Often followed by a series of expletives from the freshly woken.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
May your testicles turn into triangles and fester at the corners. Wished on me by a Navy (lower deck git) when I identified myself as RAF. This was at that all services accomodation complex in London. Forget the name, "Toc H?" Anyway 5 bob a night unless they were full then billeted in the annex over the road for 4 bob a night. He avoided a punch on the nose by explaining it was an old nautical saying.

Intrigued, I just googled for the name. "Union Jack Club". Those were the days when UK looked after her service men. Half price rail ticket and cheap accomodation in central London for a happy weekend.
Union Jack Club-----still there just outside Waterloo station. Quite posh (y)

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Union Jack Club-----still there just outside Waterloo station. Quite posh (y)
I am amazed. Thought it would have gone the way of the military hospitals, and wearing uniform for a quick pint down the pub.. waterloo station does not ring a bell, I thought the nearest tube was the Elephant and Castle. Maybe i have the wrong nameof the club. It was ok but mostly dormitary accomadation. Good clean and well organized but not posh.
Just done another google. You are right, thanks for the heads up. I notice veterans are still welcome to stay in the accoadations. I will definitely pay a visit when I am in London. I didn't read it properly the first google because I was only searching for the name. Thanks again,

Last edited: