Strange looking catamaran seen in Hamford Water yesterday.

Keith 66

Visit site
There is a houseboat in Dauntless yard of similar construction, Her builder once told me that she was built on the 8x4 principle, that is you can only use sheets that have been cut in half long ways, sideways & diagonally, perhaps he taught this guy?
The sad thing is we know how it will end & its a shocking waste of trees when with a little more care he could have built something nice.

ianc1200

Visit site
I see from Walton FB the catamaram came adrift in F9 winds and was rescued by the lifeboat yesterday.

DETAILS OF SHOUT Friday 25 September:
Volunteer crew at Walton and Frinton RNLI were tasked to an 18m home-built catamaran with one person on board which had dragged its anchor in wind speeds of 45-50mph in Walton Backwaters on Friday 25 September.
Dover Coastguard received reports that the vessel, which had been anchored in Hamford Water, had been blown onto the beach at Horsey Island. The Walton and Frinton RNLI crew were paged just after 2.20pm to assist.
Once on scene the lifeboat’s smaller Y class inflatable was deployed to approach the beach and pass a tow to the casualty. With the tide rising the all-weather lifeboat Irene Muriel Rees then towed the catamaran clear and into the main channel.
After talking to the occupant of the vessel it was decided to tow the catamaran to safe harbour at Titchmarsh Marina. With northerly winds gusting severe gale force 9, the lifeboat’s coxswain requested additional assistance from local work boats from Bedwell & Co, Frank Halls & Son and Titchmarsh Marina to help control the vessel through the closely packed moorings in the river.
The lifeboat was also met by the Walton Coastguard Rescue Team who assisted with mooring the casualty at the marina.
Speaking afterwards Coxswain Trevor Halls said: ‘This was a challenging shout as the catamaran had no steerage and was therefore difficult to control.’
We are very grateful to the crews of the work boats who came out to assist in difficult conditions and the coastguard rescue team for their turn out.’

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
I see from Walton FB the catamaram came adrift in F9 winds and was rescued by the lifeboat yesterday.
Not surprised, I should think Hamford Water was very nasty, and they were close to a lee shore in this wind. Did they tow her up to Walton?

xyachtdave

Visit site
That wind has been forecast all week, if you’re serious about the live aboard, sail away dream, moving the boat somewhere more sheltered should be top priority.

And getting some better ground tackle.