Straining rides

P4Paul

Visit site
Z
Really good effort, both of you. Looking good for the 6th :)

Still yet to perfect the refuelling routine, I keep pushing on until my energy levels fall of a cliff. Yesterday we stopped for 15 minutes after 20 miles which was about right; today I pushed on till we had done 30 miles and even after eating, the last 6 miles were a real killer.

rafiki_

Visit site
Still yet to perfect the refuelling routine, I keep pushing on until my energy levels fall of a cliff. Yesterday we stopped for 15 minutes after 20 miles which was about right; today I pushed on till we had done 30 miles and even after eating, the last 6 miles were a real killer.
I think stopping at 20 is right for us occasional cyclists. You don't really want to push too far, then suffer later in the ride. For me a 10 min or so stop at 20, 40 and 60 will work best. However I am still trying to find a solution for back ache, but am running out of time, so I might be stopping more often.

P4Paul

Visit site
I think stopping at 20 is right for us occasional cyclists. You don't really want to push too far, then suffer later in the ride. For me a 10 min or so stop at 20, 40 and 60 will work best. However I am still trying to find a solution for back ache, but am running out of time, so I might be stopping more often.

Talking to a colleague today who does 100 mile rides regularly and plans his fuel carefully, he explained that his prepared food is batched up so he is eating particular things to coincide with his calorie burn which he has displayed on his Garmin Edge.

We didn't have time to talk for long but I certainly like the concept.

rafiki_

Visit site
J
Talking to a colleague today who does 100 mile rides regularly and plans his fuel carefully, he explained that his prepared food is batched up so he is eating particular things to coincide with his calorie burn which he has displayed on his Garmin Edge.

We didn't have time to talk for long but I certainly like the concept.
I think it is probably more important to hydrate properly on the day. You can get some powders or tablets that replace the essential salts, but also drink squash or similar. I think you should be drinking a bottle of fluid an hour. I will take some snickers bars, which apparently have the best energy concentrate of choccy bars, and probably a PowerBars or 2.

P4Paul

Visit site
J
I think it is probably more important to hydrate properly on the day. You can get some powders or tablets that replace the essential salts, but also drink squash or similar. I think you should be drinking a bottle of fluid an hour. I will take some snickers bars, which apparently have the best energy concentrate of choccy bars, and probably a PowerBars or 2.

I happily get through a bottle an hour of water containing a High5 Zero tablet. I find mars bars or snickers bars hard to eat when cycling without wanting to throw up 20 minutes later whereas a peanut butter or chicken sandwich seems to be fine!
My problem is actually making myself eat when I don't need to especially if I am enjoying the ride and feeling fine

rafiki_

Visit site
I happily get through a bottle an hour of water containing a High5 Zero tablet. I find mars bars or snickers bars hard to eat when cycling without wanting to throw up 20 minutes later whereas a peanut butter or chicken sandwich seems to be fine!
My problem is actually making myself eat when I don't need to especially if I am enjoying the ride and feeling fine
Yes, I will only eat at a rest stop, not while riding. The Gels seem to be ok for feeding on route, but I don't really think that is necessary. You will need some form of refuelling, or you might struggle for the last 20 or so miles.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
You really need low GI carbs, ie not just from sugars such as those found in chocolate!

Carbs take at least 20 mins to work through your system and be carried into your blood stream, hence the importance of staying on top of your intake, and not just eating when you are knackered!

Peanut butter sandwiches are not a bad option.... I often carry a slice or two of malt loaf cake... yummy... bananas are good too... choccy bars, while tasty, cause a significant spike in less useful carbs, as glucose is carried into the blood stream, and then a counterbalancing dip shortly after as your system compensates.. not ideal... Snickers are just about OK, as they've got a certain amount of protein from the nuts... gels work well, but can be sickly unless you're used to them.

oGaryo

Visit site
Great ride tonight over my usual 13 mile evening course that has a good mix of flat and hilly bits. Averaged 18.5mph with a top speed of 45mph and no back ache. Result

rafiki_

Visit site
Great ride tonight over my usual 13 mile evening course that has a good mix of flat and hilly bits. Averaged 18.5mph with a top speed of 45mph and no back ache. Result

Crikey Gary, you'll be joining the hare's group at this rate. I did 17 tonight on my MTB, ave 16. Max 29.

P4Paul

Visit site
hoping to get and about tomorrow, thinking of a nice loop around the Hampshire hills to punish the legs again. :)

As a result of a crappy week and my inability to say no to a few beers, my hangover prevented me jumping onto the bike today. Instead I undertook some subconscious mental fitness training while asleep in the sun on the boat recovering from last nights session. :)

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
About 35 miles up on the downs yesterday morning including Old Winchester Hill. I suppose it's one more week of heavy training and then ease back for the week before the event. Does this make sense?

rafiki_

Visit site
About 35 miles up on the downs yesterday morning including Old Winchester Hill. I suppose it's one more week of heavy training and then ease back for the week before the event. Does this make sense?

Yes, I think so. I will do 30 this morning, and 40 tomorrow. Will do a 30 or 40 next weekend, then a gentle ride on Tues or Wednesday evening before the event.

rafiki_

Visit site
Well, actually only managed 26 this morning. A little curtailed as it is my daughters birthday, and we are taking her out to lunch. Wet and breezy this morning, and legs were heavy. I spent yesterday polishing Rafiki, so I guess my legs are a bit tired from that? Will rest up after a huge lunch, and try again tomorrow.

rafiki_

Visit site
Well, 38 today, and apart from a few stops to ease the back ache, it all went surprisingly well, so that's 65 ish miles between yesterday and today. Engine felt good, legs a little tired, but still got some juice left in them. Will be onto the Docs for some stronger pain killers to see if that will help. Other than that, not much more prep I can do really. Now needs to raise the odd £140 to match my target.