Straining rides

rafiki_

Visit site
will call you tomorrow Gary but looking to start around 7.00 Saturday from my place. Plenty of room to park the car and plan or something between 40 and 50 miles? any other takers more than welcome
I will aim for a 40 this weekend, but not at 07.00! I need a bit of a lie in on a Sat morning to recover from the prior week.

rafiki_

Visit site
23 this morning. Had to stop at 20 for a couple of mins to ease the back pain. Quads were fine, and engine no probs. will do a 40 this Sunday hopefully.

rafiki_

Visit site
I did 34 this morning. Aimed for 40, but got a bit bored so came home. I had to stop a couple of times for my back to recover, so still some work to do there. Awful headwind for the first 15 miles wasn't pleasant either. So between Friday and today I covered 57. Quite daunting to think there will be another 10-12 on the 6th. Had to wash the bike this afternoon as it was starting to look grubby. Can't be having that.
Have bought new pedals, cleats and shoes, aiming to get reciprocating mass down.

z1ppy

Visit site
Back out this morning, 6 miles in and about as far away from the house as i could be and i got a puncture, fortunately SWMBO was out walking the dogs so could come and collect me....

rafiki_

Visit site
Yep, a hazard of road bike tyres I'm afraid. We all need to carry a tube for the June ride. I carry a repair kit on my straining rides, and a mini pump as a get-you-home device, plus of course the phobile mone to call up International Rescue if something non repairable.

fireball

Visit site
It shouldn't be a major issue for June as you'll be in groups and have a support vehicle - however, you should aim to be self-sufficient whilst out riding.

I have a small frame mounted pump - I find the ones with a flexi-hose better - some even have pressure gauges now.
Then - onto the saddlebag ....

In there is
2 tyre levers (one should be enough, but you always need a second when you don't have one)
2 inner tubes (one will have a fault, or you'll p*nct*re it again - probably when you fit it)
1 pack of quick patches (self adhesive squares - belt and braces - but no good if the tube is wet - it always rains when you get a p*nct*re)
1 tyre boot (old bit of tyre - used to plug the slit in the tyre when it gets sliced open by a flint or bit of scrap metal - if you don't the inner tube will just poke through. You can do this with a folded up crisp packet or even a £10 note (you could try £20 - but that's just a bit too expensive!)
1 multi-tool (with all the tools that you'll never need plus the chain removal tool for when your awesome power breaks it ... )

I also carry a couple of cable ties and latex gloves ....

I've ridden a couple of sportives with spare tyres in my jersey pocket - but that's going a bit OTT .... ;)

rafiki_

Visit site

:D

I think any beer will be the right beer on the day.

Did 30 this morning, bumpy route and a nasty headwind. Set out to do 40, but still bit confident of doing this due to back ache. Have more physio this week, and will need to look at pain killers as well, but cannot take Ibroprufen due to some other tablets. 4 weeks to sort this out. Good thing is that I am confident in the engine, and the back recovers after a couple of mins off the bike, and ok to go again. Have some new shoes and pedals to try, but they will have to wait, as will go down to the boat tomorrow.

oGaryo

Visit site
:D

I think any beer will be the right beer on the day.

Did 30 this morning, bumpy route and a nasty headwind. Set out to do 40, but still bit confident of doing this due to back ache. Have more physio this week, and will need to look at pain killers as well, but cannot take Ibroprufen due to some other tablets. 4 weeks to sort this out. Good thing is that I am confident in the engine, and the back recovers after a couple of mins off the bike, and ok to go again. Have some new shoes and pedals to try, but they will have to wait, as will go down to the boat tomorrow.

I am getting back ache too Paul but only since having the bike fit, I am telling myself the body has to get used to the new position.. if it's still here in a week I'm off to the bike fit fella to have a word in his ear

rafiki_

Visit site
I am getting back ache too Paul but only since having the bike fit, I am telling myself the body has to get used to the new position.. if it's still here in a week I'm off to the bike fit fella to have a word in his ear

I get some pain just below the love handles, which then refers down my quads, and I have to stop. Back a couple of months, this was kicking in at about 20 mins, now up to an hour, so improving.