Storm Boards for Lewmar Portlights

Pye_End

Visit site
Do you need them?

How do you fit/make them?

Offshore Cruising by Jim Howard suggests it is done on the outside. Can it be done on the inside?

CPD

Visit site
The theory is the same for all windows/hatches I think. The idea is to strengthen what are relatively weak points on the upper structure, and to keep any breakling waves, or indeed water (if you become inverted) from breaking the weaker hatch/window which is underneath the board. I had already thought about replacing the windows but actually think that stormboards would actually be more useful. Like you though - maybe, not sure about the best way forward at the moment !

Mike2425796

Visit site
I made window storm boards for Jacinta on 1st jester challenge that could be fitted from inside the cabin by placing them through the broken window and then fastend against the inside hull/cabin wall. I've redesigned them for the Azores. I also fitted an inside hatch cover to the forward hatch that was semi permanent but could be removed from inside should I need to escape from the hatch following a 360

CPD

Visit site
Mike, first post - welcome !. Any chance of a picture or link to a picture of the window storm boards you made ?

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour B... Mike
Bienvenue sur le post.
Usualy the storm board are there to protect the hatch from the waves shocks. In that concern it's better to put them outside. They don't need to be watter tight. They may be fitted in a slide device (aluminium profiles for example) with an efficient loocking system (bolts, rope...)
Eric

MoodySabre

Visit site
Alan - some came with my boat. A plywood board to cover from the outside and through this are two bolts with wing nuts that also go through two struts to brace them on the inside. Only of use if the portlight has broken.

I'll catch up with you one day - family committments this weekend when the sun threatens to show itself. Grrrr.

Roger

Pye_End

Visit site
Thank you all for your thought provoking comments.

I must admit that I do not know if every yacht going offshore carried such things, and doing it without would be reckless, or whether only oversized or weak portlights needed them.

Perhaps it is a question of recommendation from Lewmar? They certainly appear very strong to me, but when you read the books you wonder what forces you actually meet.

The forehatch I think will be worth having a board made up for due to its size, and the fact that it gets noisy and scary when breaking waves dump themselves on it. If nothing else it will help me sleep in the knowledge I have a plan B for it!