Storing Auxiliary Outboard

Simon F

Visit site
Hi Seafarers,

My 23ft sailing boat has an outboard which lives in an outboard well in the cockpit. Because I'm paranoid I've bought a backup motor just in case the main fails me at an awkward moment. There isn't really anywhere practical to store the backup engine besides in the outboard locker on it's side and I was wondering if it would be worth putting it in a bag of some kind to keep it dry.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Simon.

Refueler

Visit site
Do you have a Pushpit rail ? I carry my Dinghy outboard on a mount pad fitted to the rail ...

Here's O/bd sitting on my rail on my 25ft sail boat ...

014-August52007_SA076.JPG

I had a 23ft Snapdragon years ago and I could push her along with a 4hp .. so for you as a back-up motor - you don't need big motor ... a 4hp 2str sits on a rail mount fine ...

I do not agree with bagging a motor - even if only the head ... I prefer air to freely circulate round my motors. I have left outboard on that rail through winter and all weathers .... never had any problem.

The only real concern is theft.

Simon F

Visit site
Do you have a Pushpit rail ? I carry my Dinghy outboard on a mount pad fitted to the rail ...

Here's O/bd sitting on my rail on my 25ft sail boat ...

View attachment 86259

I had a 23ft Snapdragon years ago and I could push her along with a 4hp .. so for you as a back-up motor - you don't need big motor ... a 4hp 2str sits on a rail mount fine ...

I do not agree with bagging a motor - even if only the head ... I prefer air to freely circulate round my motors. I have left outboard on that rail through winter and all weathers .... never had any problem.

The only real concern is theft.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I do have a pushpit rail yes. And the spare motor is a 4hp although a 2 stroke. I'm wondering whether the extra weight so far back might be a bit of a problem on such a light boat.

It would be convenient for a quick swap though.

All the best

Simon.

Simon F

Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I do have a pushpit rail yes. And the spare motor is a 4hp although a 2 stroke. I'm wondering whether the extra weight so far back might be a bit of a problem on such a light boat.

It would be convenient for a quick swap though.

All the best

Simon.

sutton sailor

Visit site
I agree with previous comments I carried a 2HP Honda on the push pit with the Mariner 5HP in the well on My Etap22. It worked well.
When I had finised a trip, I would lift out the Mariner on to the push pit with the boat on the pontoon at my club where I could flush the Mariner. Then I would put the Honda 2Hp in the well to take the boat back to her swinging mooring without wetting the Mariner.
Ref:- cover over out board head my advce is:- Do not, the cover is designer to protect the engine from the weather, and the outboard engine is designed to live in a marine environment. Let it breathe

Simon F

Visit site
Thanks for the advice folks. I'll get myself a mount and put the spare motor on the pushpit.

All the best

Simon.

Refueler

Visit site
Thanks for the advice folks. I'll get myself a mount and put the spare motor on the pushpit.

All the best

Simon.

Mount is basically plywood pads glued and screwed together. You have two rectangle pads about 1/2" thick and 3 smaller pieces that are same thickness as the rail you are fitting to.

O-bd rail mount.jpg

Nice bit of Marine Ply or even good quality WBP will do the job. The 3 three pieces bracket the T rail joint where horizontal meets vertical ... the two larger pieces then face this off front and back. Good deep penetrating marine varnish to preserve and bobs your dooddah !!
No need for any brackets or metal except the screws to hold it together. Mine has machine screws with buried heads / washers and nuts. It has carried an 8HP at times ...

Simon F

Visit site
Mount is basically plywood pads glued and screwed together. You have two rectangle pads about 1/2" thick and 3 smaller pieces that are same thickness as the rail you are fitting to.

View attachment 86287

Nice bit of Marine Ply or even good quality WBP will do the job. The 3 three pieces bracket the T rail joint where horizontal meets vertical ... the two larger pieces then face this off front and back. Good deep penetrating marine varnish to preserve and bobs your dooddah !!
No need for any brackets or metal except the screws to hold it together. Mine has machine screws with buried heads / washers and nuts. It has carried an 8HP at times ...

Thanks for your reply Refueler. I like your design for the mount. The only thing is, my pushpit is rather low and the transom is retrousse, so there isn't enough room for a long shaft outboard. I could put it to the side, but it would drag in the water on a port tack. (see pic)

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 24