Stiffkey Cockle

Taliesin

Visit site
The Stiffkey Cockle is a 15’2” classically styled day boat, I believe the hull design was taken from a wooden boat found in the area. These are mainly seen in the Morston/Blakeney area of North Norfolk, Stiffkey being the next village along the coast from Morston. My understanding is that around 140-150 have been manufactured over the years and remain sought after on the secondhand market, I am led to believe they fetch somewhere between 5500-6500 depending on age, condition etc. They can be sailed singlehanded and can also be rowed or take a small outboard. Virtually all of them have remained in the area and it appears you need to have local contacts and a bit of luck to get one, because of this could anyone suggest suitable alternatives please, many thank, Rob

WoodyP

Visit site
David Parkinson who owns Fosdyke Boatyard knows many people in that area and has renovated a lot of boats. He may be able to help. Stiffkey blues are a wonderful cockle if you like seafood.

mikeakc

Visit site
Norfolk Oyster? Very similar boat but nicer lines (to my eye) and a higher specification and finish. Less plumb-stemmed and a nice teardrop shape to the transom. Great little boats, they swallow a family of 4 and are very stable as they have a good deal of weight in the centreboard.
1630958279956.png

Taliesin

Visit site
Norfolk Oyster? Very similar boat but nicer lines (to my eye) and a higher specification and finish. Less plumb-stemmed and a nice teardrop shape to the transom. Great little boats, they swallow a family of 4 and are very stable as they have a good deal of weight in the centreboard.
View attachment 122024
I must admit the Oyster is a lovely craft but tends to fetch over twice the price of a Cockle

mikeakc

Visit site
Yes that's certainly true. I thought I'd flag it as a contender though as if I had the budget I'd certainly get one! I'm lucky enough to play in one every summer though.

Taliesin

Visit site
Should a Cockle not be forthcoming I’m quite taken with Character Boats Post Boat and Lytham Pilot, then there’s the Devon Dabber, choices choices.......

Taliesin

Visit site
Out of my own curiosity, I don't suppose you asked how much he sells them for new?
I didn’t to be honest, I’m happy buying S/H but I guess it would be interesting to know. We’re reaching the time of year where boats are starting to be pulled out of the water around there so hopefully something might turn up.