Sticky knobs ! on my radio

Refueler

Visit site
OK - jokes aside ....

Over time the rubber knobs on my Cobra VHF radio have become sticky ... not from jam or other gourmet application from fingers - but the knobs themselves !

Anyone know how to clean or remove this ? I've only ever seen this once before on an old car radio.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There has been several discussions on rubber covered equipment becoming sticky with several suggestions

I have a hand held electronic depth meter with a rubber cover and tried several of the suggested methods but no found on wasu one yet.

My be its cause I and the knob.

Plastic knobs could replace the rubber ones of a similar size..

Refueler

Visit site
There has been several discussions on rubber covered equipment becoming sticky with several suggestions

I have a hand held electronic depth meter with a rubber cover and tried several of the suggested methods but no found on wasu one yet.

My be its cause I and the knob.

Plastic knobs could replace the rubber ones of a similar size..

I tried pulling the knobs off to replace with some plastic or other ... but I couldn't get them off. When weather warms up - I'll go back out and have another go at them.

Radio is the Cobra MR55 DSC .... maybe someone with same has found solution ?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I tried pulling the knobs off to replace with some plastic or other ... but I couldn't get them off. When weather warms up - I'll go back out and have another go at them.

Radio is the Cobra MR55 DSC .... maybe someone with same has found solution ?

Some times electronic equipment knobs have a grub screw that tightens onto a flat on the switch/pot shaft, Sometimes just a leaf spring.

Boathook

Visit site
OK - jokes aside ....

Over time the rubber knobs on my Cobra VHF radio have become sticky ... not from jam or other gourmet application from fingers - but the knobs themselves !

Anyone know how to clean or remove this ? I've only ever seen this once before on an old car radio.
I have had this on a few items and I had no success with sorting out. Talcum powder helped for a while but it was only a short term fix. I suspect either new knobs, put up with it or bin (which is a waste on something that other wise works ok).

Refueler

Visit site
I haven't tried this but it might work.

Fit short lengths of heat-shrink sleeving over the knobs and heat carefully to shrink them into place.

Guy on one of the RC forums mentioned similar ... I have loads of heat shrink of various sizes for my RC gear ...

I considered ... wondering about the heat and the rubber buttons ....

Poignard

Visit site
Guy on one of the RC forums mentioned similar ... I have loads of heat shrink of various sizes for my RC gear ...

I considered ... wondering about the heat and the rubber buttons ....
If you were considering replacing them anyway, what have you to lose?

But if you fit longer lengths of heat-shrink the knobs will be shielded while you apply the heat. Then you can trim off the excess when it has cooled.

Refueler

Visit site
Tks for all the replies ....

I managed to remove the knobs in the end .. they are a very tight push onto splines ... needed a fine flat blade behind to get them started - then off they came.

Went indoors and wife asked why on boat in this weather !! I showed her the buttons (won't say knobs !) ... and she took one ... 3 mins later BOTH were spotless ...

What did she use ? An old Russian product sold under Latvian name SPODRA ....

"sarmaina tirisanas pasta ar citrusu aromatu - anjonu virsmaktivas vielas <5%, smarza, methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone"

in english :

citrus-like cleansing paste - anionic surfactants <5%, odor, methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone

Best way to describe it ... bit like ajax paste with a slight lemony smell !!

Button cleaner.jpg

You can see the knobs by the side ... sparkling clean just like new ...

Poignard

Visit site
Tks for all the replies ....

I managed to remove the knobs in the end .. they are a very tight push onto splines ... needed a fine flat blade behind to get them started - then off they came.

Went indoors and wife asked why on boat in this weather !! I showed her the buttons (won't say knobs !) ... and she took one ... 3 mins later BOTH were spotless ...

What did she use ? An old Russian product sold under Latvian name SPODRA ....

"sarmaina tirisanas pasta ar citrusu aromatu - anjonu virsmaktivas vielas <5%, smarza, methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone"

in english :

citrus-like cleansing paste - anionic surfactants <5%, odor, methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone

Best way to describe it ... bit like ajax paste with a slight lemony smell !!

View attachment 85737

You can see the knobs by the side ... sparkling clean just like new ...
Brilliant!

ffiill

Visit site
OK - jokes aside ....

I have a Roberts ssb radio whi h was coated in the stuff. The whole radio had gone sticky. A lot of hard work with meths cleaned it all off just about.