Sterndrive clunk on engagement

Bowlerhat

Visit site
I have a B3 leg driven by a Mercruiser 260 diesel. Just had the cone clutch changed and engagement ahead and astern is instantaneous but also accompanied by a loud clunk, that doesn’t sound overly sympathetic to the drive train. Is it a new clutch thing, ’normal’, or something else, please? My last clutch engaged quietly but was shot and took around 8 seconds to engage, so I don’t have a good comparison. Our last boat was shaft drive on KAD43s and was very smooth. Thank you.

spannerman

Visit site
Alpha drives don’t have a cone clutch like Bravo and VP drives, they have a dog clutch which is simply a crash in and out gear selection. Problem is people shift slowly to avoid the clunk but instead get rrrrrdddddd as the dogs skip over each other resulting in a rounded shoulder which eventually when worn will jump out gear. With Alphas and outboards its far better to be very positive when shifting so the dogs engage first time, and when changing direction pausing to allow the prop to stop instead of forcing it to go from 300rpm one way to 300 rpm the other way instantaneously, especially with SS props which have a lot of momentum.

bowler

Visit site
Alpha drives don’t have a cone clutch like Bravo and VP drives, they have a dog clutch which is simply a crash in and out gear selection. Problem is people shift slowly to avoid the clunk but instead get rrrrrdddddd as the dogs skip over each other resulting in a rounded shoulder which eventually when worn will jump out gear. With Alphas and outboards its far better to be very positive when shifting so the dogs engage first time, and when changing direction pausing to allow the prop to stop instead of forcing it to go from 300rpm one way to 300 rpm the other way instantaneously, especially with SS props which have a lot of momentum.

Top advice.

Bigplumbs

Visit site

Like most outboards. New put them in gear slowly they need to go in firmly to stop the RRDDDD as you say. Tentative is not the order of the day

QBhoy

Visit site
Wee bit of miss guidance here perhaps. A bravo should not clunk into gear like an alpha at all. Should be smooth. That’s the whole idea of the cone clutch. An alpha is straight cut dogged.

spannerman

Visit site
I don’t know which diesel engine you have, mechanical injection or D- tronic or common rail. But if the idle speed is too high this can cause a clunk on gear selection. If its a CR then the idle is determined by the ECU and not adustable. If you tell me your engine type I can say what the idle speed should be.

Bowlerhat

Visit site
Thanks QBhoy and spannerman. I certainly expected a smooth engagement, I have to say. I have the Mercury 3.0LTDI 260HP, which I think is common rail direct injection.

QBhoy

Visit site
Thanks QBhoy and spannerman. I certainly expected a smooth engagement, I have to say. I have the Mercury 3.0LTDI 260HP, which I think is common rail direct injection.
No probs. Spanner man has a good point there about the clutch bedding in, as time goes on. Hopefully that’s the case. When these outdrives are matched to a diesel like yours, there is no give the way a petrol engine might have. As in…a diesel would not drop or relent its rpm, engaging into gear. A petrol would. Definitely worth making sure the rpms at idle aren’t too high and harsh for a smooth engagement. All the best.

Bowlerhat

Visit site
Thanks again to QBhoy and Spannerman. I’ll adopt Plan A - i.e. let things settle down over time. I hadn’t thought about the greater torque on a diesel either. Thanks.