Steering wheel adjustment

jon and michie

Visit site
Hi can anyone help - my steering wheel is 90 degrees out is there anyway to adjust it back?
The tilt steering wheel is on a key way shaft
It says teleflex on the back and the unit is a rectangular box like section approx 300mm long - where the steering wheel shaft meets there is a plastic piece in the middle of this rectangular section.
Will try and post pics later.
Many thanks in advance
Jon

BruceK

Visit site
Not much point really, there will never be a centre point as far as you are concerned, only for the rudder/drive deflection. Boats almost always travel at a vector and having a similar problem to you I thought I'd be clever and just stick a piece of tape round the steering wheel to denote it's centre point. Only thing is, it was never the centre point again when making any forward progress. That's the downside to having a car steering wheel instead of a ships wheel at the helm.

However, to answer your question, 90 degree out is quite far and would be too much to account for slop caused by cable stretch. No harm in rethreading the cable. It will take a few goes before you find the correct position to leave the steering wheel to start off on but you'll get there. Most likely however is the belcrank from the hydraulic piston to the steering helmet shaft. Make sure that is aligned at 90 degrees at centre throw first as like all bell cranks the throw is exponential, sensitive at the start for the first 45 deg and the throw tapers off as the throw circle transcribes an arc

jon and michie

Visit site
Thanks Bruce - I have been told it's out because of the leg been removed in the past which knocks the wheel out.
As a side note - there doesn't seem to have any play in the steering at all.

BruceK

Visit site
What leg do you have? If the steering helmet has been off then yes, it is probably the belcrank as described above. You may need to readjust accordingly.

jon and michie

Visit site
I have taken the wheel off and turned it on the boss in the past. Can you try this?
Hi Rafiki - unfortunately it is not possible as it is mounted via a keyway on the shaft - I was thinking this first or hoping the steering shaft was splines - so it looks like it adjustment at the bell housing end
Jon

BruceK

Visit site
yep. Bit of a sod. The only upshot to your type of steering wheel is they are less likely to seize to the shaft if and when you do ever need to remove it.

GrahamHR

Visit site
Hi Rafiki - unfortunately it is not possible as it is mounted via a keyway on the shaft - I was thinking this first or hoping the steering shaft was splines - so it looks like it adjustment at the bell housing end
Jon
So, the wheel and the boss are one piece ? On all 3 boats I have owned, plus an aftermarket wheel, the wheel and boss are bolted together; allowing 60 degree adjustment for a 6 bolt wheel ( "Momo" standard) and 72 degree for a 5 bolt one.

jon and michie

Visit site
So, the wheel and the boss are one piece ? On all 3 boats I have owned, plus an aftermarket wheel, the wheel and boss are bolted together; allowing 60 degree adjustment for a 6 bolt wheel ( "Momo" standard) and 72 degree for a 5 bolt one.
Yes as its part of the tilt steering mechanism

jon and michie

Visit site
Right - Hoping for a bit of help here if anyone knows here a 3 pics at the business end of the steering cable - can anyone who knows advise on how to adjust in easy steps.
Many thanks for the replies so far
Jon

Attachments

• DSC_1670 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1670 (Medium).JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1669 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1669 (Medium).JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1671 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1671 (Medium).JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 20

BruceK

Visit site
Is the first attachment with the steering centred because the bellcrank to the steering helmet is 90 degrees and so I cant see an issue there. However I notice some additional holes that look like you may be able to make a coarse adjustment??
If you are unable to make an adjustment there then I'd suggest rewinding the cable on the steering helm. It will take a few goes before you find the centre point but if memory serves on mine it was something like 3.5 turns on the steering wheel out for a 2 turn lock. Easy enough to tell on after a couple attempts

edit
pipped by scottie

jon and michie

Visit site
Thanks scottie and Bruce - so basically try and move the hydraulic arm to the other hole in the picture with rust on the inner part of the hole ?
Black arrow in the attachment and see where I go from there

Attachments

• DSC_1670 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    DSC_1670 (Medium) - Copy.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: