Steak and Kidney pie

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Jester Challenge has some dangerous side effect :
- I just recieved from an Autrialian a canned Steak and Kidney Pie !!!!
It is not a temptative to poison a competitor, but the consequence of the JC dinner where I said I had eaten such a stuff, but heated on a span, some 30 years ago. I was 18 and very angry....
So I'll try it again, with my wife, and come back for a gastronic advice.
Manny thanks John
Eric
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gargleblaster

Visit site
IMAG0098.jpg

Eric,
I think I mentioned in my note that canned Steak & Kidney pie is as good as English cooking gets. If you follow the PBO or scuttlebutt forums they often talk about a Fray Bentos pie as being the height of culinary excellence.
The photo is one I prepared earlier on board Glayva. As with most food it always tastes better on a boat. That is if it is not served by a smiling French waitress.
Bon appetit.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
The British steak and kidney pie can provided by the Autrie is not compatible with French can oppener !!!!
That's why things must be tested in details... "Devil is in details !"
I ended the opening with my oister knife. It was savage, but I win.
Once hot, in the oven, it had a much better taste that the reference one :1971 reheated in a pan on a boat in Brittanny!
It brought back great memories, most of them had nothing to do with cocking, I'm afraid!
Under French consideration it was eatable.
I'll perhaps take a few of those for the return with two pans to build an oven on the single gaz spot.
The problem is that I 'll have to buy the feeding on the US market. Not really our way of life.
I hope we will survive !
(à suivre)
Eric

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Eric,
Maybe I should have sent over a British can opener as well.
One thing with buying tinned meat in the US, as far as I am aware the sorts of things we can get readily in any supermarket in the UK is unobtainable in the US or at least it was in Florida the last time I was trying to stock a boat there. The only tinned meat I could find was Tuna. In fact I got very excited in a little supermarket in Key West on our way down the west coast of Florida when I saw all these tins with chunks of beef as we would see in a stew pictured on the tins, then realised I was in the dog food section. Last year I took enough tins of Brazilian Beef to make it back as well. I am just planning this years diet and am already listing enough tins of beef to make it back.
Fray Bentos pies I have already stocked up on 12 as I have never seen them in the US. I don't believe we even have them in Australia. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JREdginton

Visit site
Get yourself a set of nexting billy cans from an army surplace or similar.

Take the largest pan and lid, place the next smallest lid inside said pan open side down, place on complete assemblage onto low, stress LOW heat, with main lid on for 2-3 mins to allow to heat up. Place opened FB into big pan, on top of inserted lid, replace main lid. Wait, drink tea, snif aroma /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allow 20 mins or there abouts and scoff 1 baked pie /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Also works for bread...

Enjot, John

JREdginton

Visit site
should do. maybe a little aqua and a lid to raise the pie of the bottom and you could be down to moments to cook it. I would recommend you pull the presuure trap if you try it dry though. let me know how you get on, been looking at small pressure cookers myself recently, did a trip some time ago with aloverly italian cooker (not cook /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and the way the lid locked meant when it went flying in a knock-down dinner stayed in the pan not over the chart table /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif