STCW95

skipper681

Visit site
After a while ashore I'm going back to working at sea, I've been told I need STCW95. I've already done my firefighting, first aid and sea survival back in 1990 and I'm just wondering if I need a refresher or if I need to do it all again.

thanks

PilotWolf

Visit site
To be honest it is probably worth just redoing the whole course. The MCA are 'variable' about what they accept depending on who you speak with! Plus things change and things get forgotten.

I've had several crew do theirs at Red Ensign Training on the IOW at Cowes and they come well recommended.

W.

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
I have to do my courses again as the MCA will only accept the original certificates (1987, somewhere in a house in the UK, which which 1?); in spite of the fact they actually sighted the originals to issue my CoC! You'd think that would be enough?

So here I am sitting in Trinidad waiting for a course to start to I can get my ancillary certificates updated to STCW95. Cost, about the same as starting all over again but without having to get the sea time.

I have to ask, is it worth it?????

Uricanejack

Visit site
Your courses and qualifications are still valid they do net expire.

You will need a continued proficancy endorsment.

To get this you will need Valid first Aid. and proof of 12 months sea time in last 5 years or a refresher course and or exam. usualy an oral with MCA examiner.

Fire fighting, Survival Crafts wil have a five year expiary. when they expire refresher course is likly solution. or as my employer has discouvered

dbyron

Visit site
HI.. you'll find that if you dont do new courses, then any Port State Control inspector could get sniffy about yr safety certificates, and in any case the new STCW amendments will shortly require refresher endorsements every five years. I revalidated after a few years ashore 2 years ago and in the end it was easier to start with a clean sheet of certs.. you don't say if yr an officer or rating, but my deck certificate was revalidated after completing a 2 week refresher course at Shields college.. good luck.

Smithy.67

Visit site
I recently had a similar question. I made a telephone call to the National Sea Training School, Gravesend, Kent, where I found the staff to be extremely helpful in advising me as to what was required.