Staying the night on board your boat

ari

Visit site
It should not be about Policing…… People should not be disobeying the rules in this regard...… Those that do are Putting peoples lives at risk and being incredibly selfish... Putting their leisure activity above peoples lives

How?

I spend the day alone on my boat.

a) At the end of the day I drive 2 hours home. The next day I drive back 2 hours to the boat.
b) At the end of the day I stay aboard. The next day I'm already there.

Please explain how b) is Putting peoples lives at risk and being incredibly selfish and a) isn't.

jon and michie

Visit site
I having this debate on the east coast forum.
I travel 225 miles to my boat on sat morning 5am get up spend the day servicing the engine / getting the boat clean in readyness.
Shower at teatime have dinner then drive back home arrive and fall into bed at 23:30 knackered.
Item 6 states "lawfully drive back home" - if driving home and you have an accident and potentially have to use 3 emergency services and breakdown recovery because you were unfit to drive "Tired" isnt going to go down well vs using common sense staying on board your boat with only your household waking up the next day then making your journey home refreshed.

Portofino

Visit site
Find the fuel pump fuse on your car , Buy some more .Blow one / cut it . Give others to immediate family .
When you arrive @ the marina , swop to dud fuse .
Your car won’t start ....it’s broken down .Oh dear !
At a reasonable time to depart .Use your phone , inc txts ( to show evidence if requested )
In the “ extraordinary “ circumstances stay over night , or as long as first class post arrives with a new fuse from your relative(s) .
Thank the marina office when it arrives .
Drive home when you are ready re inserting a working fuse .

If you want to leave the next morning.....open the bonnet look handy , fix the “ problem “ inform the marina office if you want “ it’s now sorted “

Upside apart from slumming on the boat ......nobody’s gonna nick your car :)

Hooligan

Visit site
Everything about this lockdown has been insane. I am staggered that in libertarian democracies I assume most of us agree with, that the government is able to effectively attempt to imprison all of us. When you then look at the statistics and what this has done to our economy it beggars belief. I think it is time to trust people with the correct information and trust them to do what is right for them and others. Sure there are those who may not - there always are - but that is a price we pay for the fundamental right we call freedom. Ultimately stupid laws such as banning people from staying on their boats overnight - makes absolutely no sense- or preventing people from going to their second homes - it is their property on which they pay taxes, are simply unenforceable and thank goodness the Police understand this.

jon and michie

Visit site
what is starting to annoy me is the caravan makers and parks are trying to lobby government to re open earlier than July 5th as they are struggling yet it would appear the boating establishments are just taking it in their stride and using the wording of 2nd homes as our boats so no overnight stays - also using the rya "recommendations" which is an opinion nothing more.
yet when it comes to mooring fees I am sure they will be quick to send the reminder.

Assassin

Visit site
The police have been very vocal in critiscing the government's approach; today's media has made it quite clear that the view from some parts of the police is that the lockdown (such as remains) is unenforceable. They clearly don't want to be the scapegoats for any public ill-feeling.

The Solent has been pretty busy with overnighters from what I've seen. None of them are doing any harm - not that that is legal question, but it is the moral one.

I can possibly give an explanation to this, the Coronavirus Act is secondary legislation and based upon the Public Health Act which is primary legislation, and the secondary legislation contradicts the primary legislation and the primary legislation trumps the secondary legislation; and the Police have become aware of this now, aided no doubt by having to refund all the alleged fines which were issued, this causes a quandry for the Police as those unlawfully fined are allegedly looking to bring a class action against the Police. If they win they will have to pay out a lot of compensation from their own budgets and the cost of a class action which will be expensive.

Remember that these will also be classified in their data which, while it is only paperwork, it will show a lot of unlawful convictions and lower their prosecution figures.

Assassin

Visit site
I having this debate on the east coast forum.
I travel 225 miles to my boat on sat morning 5am get up spend the day servicing the engine / getting the boat clean in readyness.
Shower at teatime have dinner then drive back home arrive and fall into bed at 23:30 knackered.
Item 6 states "lawfully drive back home" - if driving home and you have an accident and potentially have to use 3 emergency services and breakdown recovery because you were unfit to drive "Tired" isnt going to go down well vs using common sense staying on board your boat with only your household waking up the next day then making your journey home refreshed.

Actually you would be breaking the law (which is a criminal offence and not a rule) by driving home and this would normally be classed as "lawful excuse" if you stayed on the boat to prevent harm, loss or injury to someone else, and if it even got to court it would be thrown out.

oldgit

Visit site
Do what has been happening virtually everywhere.
If you must stay on , do it quietly and not draw attention to your self.
Hint. ....for those who pathologically post intimate details of their tedious lives on social media every 30 seconds , pix of yourself sitting on the boat do not go down well with folks who have not been out of the house for 10 weeks.

andy59

Visit site
I know that people have been staying on boats in Lymington on the quiet ( not me ) with no action taken . Big Plums probably could use his energy better standing at the entrance to Durdle Door giving the visitors there a piece of his mind.

Portofino

Visit site
Salient point as always should be adhered to .......minimise the chances of you inhaling a strangers exhaled air .Droplets .

Hand wash regularly.Surface contacts .

Individuals or couples undergoing maintenance on there boat which ends up a discrete over nighter is acceptable in my book .

This is different to 6 pax or more sat getting pissed up in the cockpit , making a racket into the early hours in holiday mode .
Perhaps folks dragging boats loadsa little kids , there own of course who ride there scooters incessantly up and down all the pontoons breaking all social distancing rules ......meeting up with other kids etc etc ....mum + dad zoned off dozing in the warm sunshine .

Thats probably why they want caravan holiday parks and such like to remain closed as family’s will arrive and start mixing ....multiple hard surfaces repeatedly touched + risky social distancing +++ alcohols inevitably effect on lowering inhibitions .