Staying Sane?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Was there a thread on here previously about staying sane that has disapeared? Just I'm a bit worried about my wind vane steering 'Miss Piggy' who has taken to singing to herself particularly during her lonely night watches. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

FAITIRA

Visit site
And why shoudn,t she keep her spirits up, I enjoy my "JUICY LUCY" serenading me, lovely tone she has too, I would consider anyone mad who didn,t appreciate it!

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi John

I started that thread, as I already doubt my sanity. Wonder what happened to it. (The post, not my sanity)

I've heard a lot about cabin fever, and people going a bit - well - strange- when at sea for a long time. So I was wondering how people will keep themselves mentally stable when things may be going a bit pearshaped.

Also, staying entertained with no-one to talk to for up to 5-6 weeks at a time.

Or, in this horribly overcrowded world of ours, maybe the whole point is NOT being obliged to talk to anyone! Me, I take a euk, and can play for hours at full volume without the neighbours banging on the wall to show their appreciation.

Good books, and some good taped music. (One boater I know packs stirring war themes, and the 'Hawaii five-oh' theme tune for when it gets rough.)

But Georgio is right - we've got to be a little bit mad to attempt the Jester in the first place....

Saddletramp

Visit site
Last nights film of Donald Crowhurst makes you stop and think. However, I did not realise how ill prepared he thought he was before he left. He had boxed himself into a corner which only got worse.

I think your state of mind before you start will have a big influence on your state of mind at sea. So getting that right probably starts now, (or before now). Are you happy with how things are progressing. Do you feel in control. Have you or can you reduce the unknowns to a level acceptable to you.

Some wise words from Glayva et al who have been there would help. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PacketRat

Visit site
Donald Crowhurst - now there's a guy I can relate to! My partner kept saying things like - that's what you said, just like you, etc. The way I see it, it's a bigger undertaking if you're a Donald than a Francis. DC put his own shirt on it, plus the shirts of his family, and couldn't back out. A bit like buying a house on a mortgage. If it was a Jester Challenge, he wouldn't have gone when he did. Until I'm satisfied I've done everything I need to do, I'm not going to enter, let alone leave.
Apart from the ignominy heaped on the "weekend sailor", he still managed to sail his leaky boat up and down the Atlantic for six months. I think he achieved a lot. I'm packing a tube of Evode "Sticks like Sh*t" (building trade only!) for the trip. Pity DC didn't have any to fix his hatches.
Nice of Sir Robin to hand over the cash to DC's family, five grand was a bit of a wedge in those days.
As if things weren't bad enough, wasn't there some suggestion that Tetley had to press his boat harder when he found DC on his tail?
DC tried to play with the big boys and was out of his league. Shame. But that's what made Sir Robin's achievement so remarkable.
Robin (same name, different bloke /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Some wise words from Glayva et al

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's 'et al', my wind vane steering who I think has gone mad from boredom hanging off the rear end of the boat, with a few words to say/sing. Jake could try this on his ukele if he can play 'My Bonnie lies over the Ocean'. But then he would probably be as mad as I believe Miss Piggy is.
Miss Piggy helms in the ocean,
Miss Piggy steers in the sea,
Miss Piggy helms in the ocean,
And I do it all for free, for free. I do it all for free.
Chorus:
Bring back, Bring Back, bring us back Safe-er-lee, safe-er-lee.
Bring us back safe-er-lee.
Alternate Chorus: [for Fine Ladies, cross dressers and others
obsessed with shoes].
Slingbacks, slingbacks, slingbacks and heels for me, for me.
Slingbacks and heels for me.

Ships pass to starboard,
Fishing boats trawl on the lee,
Ships pass to starboard,
But no-one invites me to tea, to tea. No-one invites me to tea.
Chorus.

The skipper keeps the boat balanced,
The skipper trims the sails.
I do all the steering,
It’s me that never fails, never fails. It’s me that never fails.
Chorus.

The skipper drinks wine with his supper,
He has beer when it’s hot,
There’s whisky for medicinal,
Invite me to drinks, he does not!
Chorus.

We were knocked down in the ocean,
beyond horizontal it seems,
A lot of things ended up broken.
Me damaged? Not in your dreams!
Chorus.

Humpbacks sound in the ocean,
Dolphins swim by me,
An albatross flies through the rigging,
But no-one invites me to tea.
Chorus.

The skipper tells me he loves me,
He often tells me so,
The skipper tells me he loves me,
Then disappears below.
Chorus.

Scones are made in the ocean,
Bread is made at sea,
Muffins are made in the ocean,
But no-one invites me to tea,
Chorus.

We had fog off of Nantucket,
We had fog south of Grand Banks.
The skipper kept blowing his trumpet.
I steered all the way with no thanks.
Chorus.

There are ghosts out in the ocean.
I hear voices out at sea.
Djinns live in the ocean.
I’ve invited them all to tea, to tea.
I’ve invited them all to tea.
Chorus.
[‘Hey skipper, you’d better put on another batch of scones
and get out the “Spirits”’].

lyina

Visit site
[
As if things weren't bad enough, wasn't there some suggestion that Tetley had to press his boat harder when he found DC on his tail?

Yes, Tetly would probably have made it all the way without the extra stress he put on his boat trying to 'outrun' DC.

Haven't got to grips with this quote stuff yet /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Saddletramp

Visit site
Nice one John. What a pleasant ditty. You must have gone so far round the bend you are on the way back again. I hope I can hang on round the bend when the time comes.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif