Stainless Steel Exhaust Manufacture - ideally South East/Coast

gregcope

Visit site
hi All

I want to get a copy of the Volvo Penta High Rise exhaust in stainless steel. Reasons for this is that the Volvo part is nearly £1000 which for a short riser loop seems quite expensive for a bent bit of tube with a spigot and flange. Plus the volvo one is made of cheese.

The exact part is Exhaust riser 3581031.

Ropewalk marine did do one, however each time I contact they said it was out of stock.

Any one know of any good stainless exhaust manufactures in the South East (ie nr ish Chichester) who can make a high quality exhaust riser? I can remove mine as a pattern. I might consider making spares.

Halo

Visit site
May be worth emailing exhaustelbow.com. The have expertise and have shipped lots of bits to the uk including to me.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
My Citroen DS23 has a stainless steel exhaust by P D Gough of Nottingham. It cost a fair bit, but it's a thing of beauty and works perfectly. They'll make any classic car exhaust from a pattern, so it would be worth asking if they can make the bit you need.

seadog30

Visit site
hi All

I want to get a copy of the Volvo Penta High Rise exhaust in stainless steel. Reasons for this is that the Volvo part is nearly £1000 which for a short riser loop seems quite expensive for a bent bit of tube with a spigot and flange. Plus the volvo one is made of cheese.

The exact part is Exhaust riser 3581031.

Ropewalk marine did do one, however each time I contact they said it was out of stock.

Any one know of any good stainless exhaust manufactures in the South East (ie nr ish Chichester) who can make a high quality exhaust riser? I can remove mine as a pattern. I might consider making spares.

Hi

I also have a a VP engine with a high rise (an MD 2040A) is this this the same as yours ? My VP exhaust is also made of cheese and is now nearly 10 years old.

Please let us know how you get on

Regards - Phil

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
Some years ago, re-engined a 2020 motor to a Cobra 850. Instead of buying the hi riser my brother welded up a link pipe to go between the heat exchanger and the std exhaust manifold. It was made up from std 90 degree bends and a couple of std flanges and a bit of pipe all bought from a pipe/plumber stockist. cost next to nothing. Worked fine for the ten years or so we had the boat.

gregcope

Visit site
Some years ago, re-engined a 2020 motor to a Cobra 850. Instead of buying the hi riser my brother welded up a link pipe to go between the heat exchanger and the std exhaust manifold. It was made up from std 90 degree bends and a couple of std flanges and a bit of pipe all bought from a pipe/plumber stockist. cost next to nothing. Worked fine for the ten years or so we had the boat.

I do not see this as complex to make for a good stainless exhaust person. Compared to the headers on cars its trivial.

The only complex part is good welds and decent material choice.

gregcope

Visit site
Hi

I also have a a VP engine with a high rise (an MD 2040A) is this this the same as yours ? My VP exhaust is also made of cheese and is now nearly 10 years old.

Please let us know how you get on

Regards - Phil
Mine is a 2030B. The part maybe the same. Can you find your part number?

PaulR

Home West Sussex, Boat on Mooring in Gosport
Visit site
@PaulR will let you know. Would you just want one or something with a warrantee?

Hi Greg - did try and take mine off a couple of years ago when I removed heat exchanger for cleaning (well worth doing)- on our starlight managed to unbolt elbow but couldnt remove exhaust pipe from elbow outlet - as far as I could see elbow was clear and ok but knowing they do go have been thinking could be worth changing or having spare

Sinbad1951

Visit site
I went to steel stockist Aalco and purchased a series of stainless steel bends (316) and some straight pipe. With a good hacksaw I cut the bends to the shape including the smaller water injection connecting pipe. From the defective riser on the engine which I had removed I cut off connecting flange. I took the whole lot to a decent engineer comfortable with stabless welding and he welded it up to the shape I wanted. Total cost £280 and that was for two!

Its been in place for 20 years and still looks like new