St Vaast contingent - lock times

bedouin

Visit site
The lock times on the Saturday do not look particularly attractive. (3h21-8h00 and 16h07 to 20h50)

Leaving at 16h07 would be a bit rushed - so that means leaving about 7h30 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif A bit early given that a lot of the Thursday night will have been spent underway, and a lot of Friday night spent drinking (I hope).

Has anyone checked the tides round Barfleur?

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Have just been looking into this myself, don't mind leaving early Saturday morning to get a parking space in Cherbourg. Tides are heading west until approx 1100 BST, so should be OK wind direction permitting.

Getting in to StVaast in the first place, lateThursday night or Friday morning is less sociable.

HW StVaast on Friday is 0308 and 1541.
For a Thursay day crossing this means not getting through the gates until after midnight which is fine as long as you have a good pot spotter on the bow. We will leave Southampton at a respectable 0900 in the morning.

NOTES
All times are BST.
Tides are very weak neaps into the weekend.
StVaast gates tend to be subject to the vaguaries of the HM and local fishing fleet.
My sums may be wrong so make your own planning assumptions, not copying mine!

bedouin

Visit site
It's some indication of tidal height - the website warns that in case of high pressure the gates may close an hour earlier (on the days in question)

S

Skyva_2

The tide tables on the same site say UT+1 in winter, UT+2 in summer ie French local time.

There is good pilotage info on the St Vaast site.
http://www.saint-vaast-reville.com/

The tide coefficient is widely used in France to indicate the tide range for the day, based on Brest. 45 = neaps, 95 = springs, there is a full set for each daily tide in Reeds.

bedouin

Visit site
The tables are for "French legal time" (but you have to look on the page for the first half of the year to discover that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

In other words UT+2 for the weekend in question

bedouin

Visit site
That's an interesting alternative.

With the direct to St Vaast approach the best plan for me seems to be aiming to arrive in the early hours of Friday morning - which implies leaving 0800ish Thursday.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I think Steve means that we will go Buckler's Hard - Cherbourg on Thursday, Cherbourg - St Vaast at an appropriate time on Friday and then back to Cherbourg on Saturday morning for the evening's festivities. That's the way he sold the concept to me, anyway.

Like all Beaulieu River mooring holders, we like to travel in comfort, and I think Steve's planning to tuck in to Yarmouth (Needles/Nth Channel permitting) on Sunday night and potter up the Solent first thing Monday morning, thus not getting into the office (in my case) or back to Chateau Stuge (in Steve's case) until later in the day - you can get away with this sort of thing when you're a Captain of Industry /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

The tide coefficient is widely used in France to indicate the tide range for the day, based on Brest. 45 = neaps, 95 = springs, there is a full set for each daily tide in Reeds.

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks Keith, so RTFM then - or RTFA in this case !!