Squadron 78 For Sale

jfm

Visit site
Back at my desk so have my files to hand. If you're speccing a new build, either of the two IT made butyl-lined hoses below are what you need for black water flexible piping. Just insist on it! Tech specs are in the links below.

Boat hose Sanitary Star IVG Colbachini (this is the one in my new Sanlorenzo build spec)
Ultraflex/WC: Marine Hoses - SATI Group

In the UK you can conveniently buy the second one here (in grey only, rather than the nicer white colour) https://www.asap-supplies.com/produ...ilet-waste-hose-38mm-id-sold-per-metre-507838.

The price of these butyl lined hoses is about 2.5x the price of the white PVC stuff that UK boat builders typically use, but well worth it.

MrB

Visit site
It was an SX88. The one that is now in Lymington, called Hard8. It was rather nice!
Is that the owner of the Sunseeker 86 "Hard 8" that was for sale for quite a while? He certainly modified that boat.

jfm

Visit site
Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Back at my desk so have my files to hand. If you're speccing a new build, either of the two IT made butyl-lined hoses below are what you need for black water flexible piping. Just insist on it! Tech specs are in the links below.

Boat hose Sanitary Star IVG Colbachini (this is the one in my new Sanlorenzo build spec)
Ultraflex/WC: Marine Hoses - SATI Group

In the UK you can conveniently buy the second one here (in grey only, rather than the nicer white colour) Seaflow Marine Butyl Rubber Sanitation Hose (38mm ID).

The price of these butyl lined hoses is about 2.5x the price of the white PVC stuff that UK boat builders typically use, but well worth it.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
I've had both - the original ones that Princess fitted and the Butyl Rubber ones that I bought from ASAP Supplies.
The difference is astonishing.
If I were to buy another boat from Princess, we would probably "fall out" over this.
I would insist and walk away if they didn't fit it.
It is a bit of a PIA to retro fit - and why should you? when you are buying a new boat.

jfm

Visit site
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
I've had both - the original ones that Princess fitted and the Butyl Rubber ones that I bought from ASAP Supplies.
The difference is astonishing.
If I were to buy another boat from Princess, we would probably "fall out" over this.
I would insist and walk away if they didn't fit it.
It is a bit of a PIA to retro fit - and why should you? when you are buying a new boat.
100% agree (y)
But I suspect would be hard to get Princess to change. I had some early discussions with them contemplating Y85 or Y95 but gave up early - they are not obvious enthusiasts for changing their standard design and they tend to think they do things best... ?

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
Yes same owner. Actually 2 owners who share it (and charter it out). The sunseeker 86 was heavily customised in the crew cabin area but otherwise was pretty normal.
It was heavily customised in the galley area to, but it was a nice boat.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
they are not obvious enthusiasts for changing their standard design and they tend to think they do things best...
Not a good sign. In my experience, companies who don't want to listen their clients on the basis that what they are doing is the best, most often than not means that it actually isn't.
An attitude that is not specific to the boating industry, btw.

jakew009

Visit site
Not a good sign. In my experience, companies who don't want to listen their clients on the basis that what they are doing is the best, most often than not means that it actually isn't.
An attitude that is not specific to the boating industry, btw.

It kind of seems silly to save what must be a max of £1000 on the toilet pipes, but I guess if you find 100 ways to save a grand, you’ve added a hundred grand back onto your bottom line and most buyers won’t be any the wiser.

MapisM

Visit site
My point exactly.
With boats, there are indeed hundreds of other ways to cut corners, toilet pipes being a tiny fraction of all the components.
There are many other pipes for fresh water, raw water, fuel, exhaust... And we are still only talking of pipes!
It isn't just a matter of assembly components either: it's possible to save money also on structural parts, starting from moulding resins.
And as with toilet pipes, any problem related to these choices is bound to become evident only over time, after the warranty period expired...?

Last edited:

roa312

Visit site
Thanks again for the kind words. I'll try to document the SL build on here on a new thread. Lots to do first though, including getting SL to agree to the publicity/pics etc. I'm visiting factory in Italy mid October.

I'll also write more about the boat choice - there are plenty to choose from in this "5 cabins, planing, and as big as poss while keeping under 24m LLL/LH" category. Includes in no particular order Princess X/Y95, Sunseeker 95/100, Pearl 95, Riva Argo/Corsaro, Ferretti 920/1000, Asia stuff like Horizon, Dominator illumen (sp?), Van der Walk, Dreamline, Hatteras, Johnson, several Azimuts, Lazzara, etc

Sale process of the Sq78 is progressing - some viewings being arranged I think. Brokers handling all that.

I'm also working on a chase boat. I'll post info/pictures on that too when confirmed, on a new thread.

(early) Congratulations on the new boat jfm! I'm sure you spent countless hours comparing all the different choices and it would be so very interesting reading about your considerations and all the compromises that led to your decision.

EricJ

Visit site
Congratulations on the sale of your SQ78 (according to the BCUK website)! It did not hang around long…
How are things progressing with your new project? These cold winter days are screaming for some good old new-build threads ?

jfm

Visit site
Congratulations on the sale of your SQ78 (according to the BCUK website)! It did not hang around long…
How are things progressing with your new project? These cold winter days are screaming for some good old new-build threads ?
Thank you. Yes my Sq78 is now in the hands of an enthusiastic/knowledgeable/experienced new Italian owner, who has owned one before and will I think keep her in Genoa or thereabouts. Boats.co.uk were as usual brilliant about making the sale happen and insulating me from all the detail of surveying and snagging. It's no longer called Match - I retain the name on the UK part 1 and Jersey registers - and I don't know what the new name will be. I believe new owner plans a refit (new carpets, teak, external upholstery, etc) ready for next season and I wish him well.

The new Sanlorenzo and Ribeye projects are progressing very well. Neither build physically started yet, but are about to, in January. A lot of speccing , drawings and factory visits have been going on these last few months. The Ribeye will be a beautiful thing and the team there are delightfully enthusiastic and a lot of fun to deal with. The Sanlorenzo is a massive project in terms of research and deciding the final detailed spec. A boat like this is far more complex than say a FairPrinSeek because the factory offers to build anything you ask for; you are not limited to tick-box options.

Just one example: with FairPrinSeek they ask which wood veneer do you want out of light oak/walnut and matt/gloss. Sanlorenzo tell me I can have any wood veneer that is available anywhere on the planet, plus Alpi digitally printed (real-wood) veneer, and any % of gloss from 5% to 100% in 5% increments. Also I can have any part painted in any colour, instead of veneer. So there's a lot to decide right there.

My project is by far the most complex SL96A they will ever have built and has easily the longest options list. Literally hundreds of line items in the spec, and the options are costing more than my whole Sq78 cost when new.

The Sanlorenzo factory team in Italy and the UK dealer are a delight to deal with I'm very much looking forward to the build process. I'll try to find time to start a thread next year.

roa312

Visit site
I'm sure we are all looking forward to the build thread so really hoping you can find the time!

With so many design/materials choices, do you have the design teams sketch out and illustrate the many various options ? Maybe you even engage a third-party design firm to come up with suggestions for different layouts and material choices? Sorry if this is something you plan to elaborate on later - in which case you should just disregard my questions!

I wish Sanlorenzo had a few more pictures/videos on their website. However for anyone interested in seeing more, I noticed that another SL96A was put on the market not long ago along with some super media (link). The owner is a frequent visitor on Yachtforums and he also posted tons of pictures on his Instagram (link).