Squadron 78 For Sale

jfm

Visit site
Thanks again for the kind words. I'll try to document the SL build on here on a new thread. Lots to do first though, including getting SL to agree to the publicity/pics etc. I'm visiting factory in Italy mid October.

I'll also write more about the boat choice - there are plenty to choose from in this "5 cabins, planing, and as big as poss while keeping under 24m LLL/LH" category. Includes in no particular order Princess X/Y95, Sunseeker 95/100, Pearl 95, Riva Argo/Corsaro, Ferretti 920/1000, Asia stuff like Horizon, Dominator illumen (sp?), Van der Walk, Dreamline, Hatteras, Johnson, several Azimuts, Lazzara, etc

Sale process of the Sq78 is progressing - some viewings being arranged I think. Brokers handling all that.

I'm also working on a chase boat. I'll post info/pictures on that too when confirmed, on a new thread.

markc

Visit site
Thanks again for the kind words. I'll try to document the SL build on here on a new thread. Lots to do first though, including getting SL to agree to the publicity/pics etc. I'm visiting factory in Italy mid October.

I'll also write more about the boat choice - there are plenty to choose from in this "5 cabins, planing, and as big as poss while keeping under 24m LLL/LH" category. Includes in no particular order Princess X/Y95, Sunseeker 95/100, Pearl 95, Riva Argo/Corsaro, Ferretti 920/1000, Asia stuff like Horizon, Dominator illumen (sp?), Van der Walk, Dreamline, Hatteras, Johnson, several Azimuts, Lazzara, etc

Sale process of the Sq78 is progressing - some viewings being arranged I think. Brokers handling all that.

I'm also working on a chase boat. I'll post info/pictures on that too when confirmed, on a new thread.
Can't wait!

jfm

Visit site
Ah, so you pulled the trigger on a Sanlorenzo

Knowing you hadn't ordered a Princess I was going to have a tenner on SL in the forum sweepstake but you beat me to it. :)

Lots of planning no doubt. Hopefully the factory are bracing themselves. No stone left unturned.....

I shall keep my eyes open, still remember opening night in Swanwick all those years ago. I've never actually stepped aboard a SL but they look interesting. I see Hard 8 on her travels - walked past her on the pontoon whilst doing a charter out of Lymington last week.

All the best.

Henry :)
Thanks Henry
Looking forward to info/pictures on your new machine - must be arriving soon (?)

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Thanks Henry
Looking forward to info/pictures on your new machine - must be arriving soon (?)
We got news of the hull completion last week so will be making our first factory visit to see our boat in October. Will update thread on here accordingly. I’ve been extremely tame in comparison re: spec. The only possibly controversial choice was to ditch the crew cabin in favour of proper storage but I’ll talk about that in the thread.

In terms of a chase boat, I’ve always had a soft spot for the Dutchcraft. Big back deck, surprisingly cavernous accommodation to spare crew space on the mother ship and a big day area if you wanted to go off to a small beach with some friends or go on a foraging mission. Saw them at Cannes a few years ago.

As you rightly say lots of choice around your size. Horizon have great crew cabin / beach club, I prefer the X80 to the X95. Look forward to your analytical mind and eye for detail in the thought process.

Henry

dankilb

Visit site
I wonder whether there might be a case for keeping ‘high profile’ build threads locked to replies, apart from the OP? A separate discussion thread could run in parallel. That could a) reduce the length/concentrate the content, b) prevent OPs becoming bogged down in discussion if/when they don’t have time or inclination, c) avoid putting off our most interesting posters if/when discussions turn sour.

I know this is first and foremost a discussion forum, but there’s such a valuable and rare element of ‘citizen journalism’ in something like an epic build/project/trip thread that - if it means we get these threads as opposed to not - might make it worthwhile to lock down the parameters somewhat??

benjenbav

Visit site
I wonder whether there might be a case for keeping ‘high profile’ build threads locked to replies, apart from the OP? A separate discussion thread could run in parallel. That could a) reduce the length/concentrate the content, b) prevent OPs becoming bogged down in discussion if/when they don’t have time or inclination, c) avoid putting off our most interesting posters if/when discussions turn sour.

I know this is first and foremost a discussion forum, but there’s such a valuable and rare element of ‘citizen journalism’ in something like an epic build/project/trip thread that - if it means we get these threads as opposed to not - might make it worthwhile to lock down the parameters somewhat??
I think that’s a great idea. ?

dunedin

Visit site

There is a mechanism for that sort of thing - it is a blog on a private site. Just provide a one off link and people can follow the blog.

A Forum by contrast is all about two way dialogue. People can ask questions, and discuss things. That’s what a forum does. And it reflects different views (hopefully politely).

But if JFM wants to go down this route it would be easy enough. Just start a discussion topic and include a link to a build blog in post #1. Then the blog is built up over time with what the new owner chooses to post - and can be taken down when and if he/she chooses.
Meanwhile the debate is on the forum.

alt

Visit site
JFM - Great to hear from you and delighted you will (hopefully) grace us with another build thread.

Hurricane

Visit site
We got news of the hull completion last week so will be making our first factory visit to see our boat in October. Will update thread on here accordingly. I’ve been extremely tame in comparison re: spec. The only possibly controversial choice was to ditch the crew cabin in favour of proper storage but I’ll talk about that in the thread.

In terms of a chase boat, I’ve always had a soft spot for the Dutchcraft. Big back deck, surprisingly cavernous accommodation to spare crew space on the mother ship and a big day area if you wanted to go off to a small beach with some friends or go on a foraging mission. Saw them at Cannes a few years ago.

As you rightly say lots of choice around your size. Horizon have great crew cabin / beach club, I prefer the X80 to the X95. Look forward to your analytical mind and eye for detail in the thought process.

Henry
Henry
Is it too late to get Princess to use Butyl Rubber hoses for the toilet wastes.
I guess they are using quality toilets (Tecma/Planus quality) but our boat has significantly changed since changing to the Butyl Rubber hoses.
I'm sure JFM would agree that those cheap PVC ones are carp (excuse the pun.
All smells have gone away since changing.
If I were ordering from Princess, I would, at least, make a fuss about the cheap hoses.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Henry
I guess they are using quality toilets (Tecma/Planus quality) but our boat has significantly changed since changing to the Butyl Rubber hoses.
If I were ordering from Princess, I would, at least, make a fuss about the cheap hoses.

The current P50 has lovely freshwater toilets, I think Dometic that have performed gloriously with no smells or other ailments. I’m loath to specify alternatives to the Princess build for fear of it biting me in the bum should a warranty claim be necessary. We’ve ensured ongoing support from Princess upon the F55’s arrival. Swanwick have always been very fair with us and Peter Harwood is legendary in terms of commitment and knowledge.

Hurricane

Visit site
The current P50 has lovely freshwater toilets, I think Dometic that have performed gloriously with no smells or other ailments. I’m loath to specify alternatives to the Princess build for fear of it biting me in the bum should a warranty claim be necessary. We’ve ensured ongoing support from Princess upon the F55’s arrival. Swanwick have always been very fair with us and Peter Harwood is legendary in terms of commitment and knowledge.
Agreed ---- but those pvc pipes are rubbish.
I know what you mean - but YOU are the customer - get the best - I didn't and regretted it.

Hurricane

Visit site
I shall mention it when at the factory. What actually went wrong with your pipes?
Nothing went wrong with them but after a couple of years, they don't hold the smell back.
It is a known fact that they become smelly.
Knowing how the Princess factory works, if they are still using the PVC tubes, you won't get any joy asking them to change them to Butyl Rubber.
Princess is a quality product. It just seems a shame that they spoil it for "3 halfpence of tar".
A few quid extra for some decent hoses would make a big difference.

jfm

Visit site
Henry
1000% agreed. Always spec the butyl lined hoses. The white PVC is very inferior. There are two Italian manufacturers of butyl lined hose and they are also white-labelled and sold under the Vetus brand. Easiest source in Uk is Asap supplies.