Squaddie 52?

GravyStain

Visit site
I agree with you 100%
However, I believe that GravyStain is looking for a boat for the Med.
He may choose to keep it in a marina whilst friends are visiting but I suspect that there will be an "itch" to "go cruising".

Back when we were cruising in the UK, I loved the idea of a Squaddie 52.
The extra comfort that you get by making the cabins bigger cannot be underestimated.
In fact, it is that concept that applies very much to our Princess 67.
The P67 is a big boat for only 3 cabins but each cabin has its own en-suite and masses of space - difficult to believe the size of our mid cabin - bigger than most sub 28m boats.
For that, we sacrifice the fourth cabin.
Of course we have the crews cabin if we need extra space but that has only been used about 3 times in 13 years.
So, yes, I do agree with the comments in your post.

But, I do think that 2 cabins might not be enough for summer cruising away from the marina.
I know of people in our marina in Sant Carles who are happy to use local hotels for guests and then just to do day trips out into our lagoon.
Indeed, we have a two cabin Squaddie 52 already located in Sant Carles.

However, in the Med, you might want to cruise further afield.
In Sant Carles' case, it is "popping over" to the Balearics.
In which case, two cabins might not be enough.
You would, essentially be restricting a cruise to just two couples.
In our case, we often use all three of our cabins but, as I say above, very rarely the crews cabin.
So, in my experience, I think that the Squaddie 52's twin cabin layout might be a bit restrictive for Med use.

I can see the attraction of the lower cost but I do think the extra cost of the Squaddie 58 would be well spent.
Nothing worse that having a boat and wishing that you had bought the bigger one.

Food for thought Mike... Although I would happily cruise the Med on the SQ52 it does depend on how many people you take with you I agree.

GravyStain

Visit site
I agree 100% with this. The S52 btw looks stunning to me and especially the mid cabin which looks lovely. I that once one introduces kids into the equation things change very rapidly. For each kid add a potential friend or two is my rule of thumb especially as they grow up - sadly the kids don’t want to holiday only with you even though I am sure they love you to bits and we are all of course the coolest Dad’s on earth :). They want their mates. I do agree that a boat is for one’s own pleasure not others but I do think that in the Med to go with two cabins with kids around, even only one, you will find you may wish you had gone with the 58. One other thing, as great as the inside of the 52 looks, in the Med we never ever eat indoors, never watch TV and rarely sit or socialize inside. That means the flybridge is far more important a consideration. As in everything though it is all about what you want to do and how you want to utilize the boat.
Again, good points. As soon as you add a couple with a child (who is your childs friend etc..) then you are using both cabins, and the crew cabin for the two kids (assuming they're happy with that and it doesn't leak :) )... and then you miss a third cabin.

But, depending on finances, the £100k difference is not small potatoes.

Soco2

Visit site
I hear some of these points and yes I suppose the Med requirements are going to be different and it also depends on those individuals, practically you could have two adult couples and three children in separate beds without chucking them on the sofa or an airbed. ?

For me with no children I’m not so fussed and I will use mine as a home from home in the U.K. and probably spend a bit more time inside in the colder months with the heater on ??

fred247

Visit site
If the third cabin is such an issue for some people, then why not go for the 55 with a third cabin instead of the 58, the 55 is in the same price range as the 52, without the extra £100k for a 58. this thread seems to totally ignore?
:unsure:
personally I still prefer the 52, if friends want a boating holiday let them buy their own.

GravyStain

Visit site
Is there a trend here???

Is the 3rd cabin a very occasional cabin that is normally used as a convenient storage locker rather than the lazarette (only to then be emptied into the semi empty lazarette when more people come on board)?

I genuinely don't envisage myself and family cruising with more than one couple and a child along with the three of us. We have a very small family circle so that's dealt with. We have many friends, but not the cruising type (although you never know until you mention a MoBo), and as one of you guys metioned earlier (forgive me for not remembering who), I don't want to cruise with 8 on a boat around the Balaerics. I would with 5 or 6 inclusive of us.

Maybe the Whitley Neil has the better of me and @fred247 , YES, the 55 is in the mix (although heavily slated on here by others (yet to be substantiated)). The 55 is a sweet spot along with the 52.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

First world problems...

jakew009

Visit site
Is there a trend here???

Is the 3rd cabin a very occasional cabin that is normally used as a convenient storage locker rather than the lazarette (only to then be emptied into the semi empty lazarette when more people come on board)?

I genuinely don't envisage myself and family cruising with more than one couple and a child along with the three of us. We have a very small family circle so that's dealt with. We have many friends, but not the cruising type (although you never know until you mention a MoBo), and as one of you guys metioned earlier (forgive me for not remembering who), I don't want to cruise with 8 on a boat around the Balaerics. I would with 5 or 6 inclusive of us.

Maybe the Whitley Neil has the better of me and @fred247 , YES, the 55 is in the mix (although heavily slated on here by others (yet to be substantiated)). The 55 is a sweet spot along with the 52.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

First world problems...

I think I still stand by my assertion that three couples on a 50ish foot boat sharing bathrooms etc for any length of time is not going to be very enjoyable unless you like camping.

If you want to have lots of kids onboard maybe different.

Buy the 52, put the 100k saving towards a hotel fund...

GravyStain

Visit site
I think I still stand by my assertion that three couples on a 50ish foot boat sharing bathrooms etc for any length of time is not going to be very enjoyable unless you like camping.

If you want to have lots of kids onboard maybe different.

Buy the 52, put the 100k saving towards a hotel fund...

I'm heading that way. Mind you, don't forget the Princess 52... or is that a whole new can of worms :)

fred247

Visit site
52 - 52 every time, the p52 with the dinette instead of the third cabin, is ok'ish, but not as sociable as the sq52, the large sunbed on the p52 a total waste of flybridge space.
My brother has a p460 which is similar to the p52 in layout, with a third cabin (bunk beds) not to my taste.
buy the sq52 and put the money towards your cruising fuel.

Speedwaysquashman

Visit site
On my boat hunting I've been doing tons of searching (as everyone does when spending the thick end of Very Great Deal Of Money)!

Aaaaand.... I'm slightly taken by the oddball Fairline Squadron 52. It ticks a lot of boxes at a decent price point (which is a good £50 - 70k less than a Squaddie 58)

2 master cabins, each en suite. Crew quarters, utility room. We only have one child and nobody likes us so we'd never take more than one couple away with us :p:):cool:

This boat was from when Fairline were arguably in their pomp, 2005 ish.

I'd like your thoughts please - anyone owned or used one?
What's the engine access like?
Are the engines decent in general?
Decent fuel economy on pootle mode?
Is the Flybridge any good?
Any major flaws?

Thanks guys. Happy Easter!
Give me a ring
Have been involved with 52/55/58 Squadrons so could give you some advice
07837385557 Paul

Hurricane

Visit site
I've just thought of another plus for the Squaddie 52
She would fit on a 15m berth like the one already in Sant Carles.
And, today, two 15m berths have popped up on SCMCHAT for private sale/rent.
That would make it a really cheap option for the Med - maybe that extra cabin on the Squaddie 58 adds a significant extra cost.
These two 15m berths in SCM are pontoon berths and should be somewhere between £3000 and £4000 pa - including water and electricity.

Alicatt

Visit site
That would make it a really cheap option for the Med - maybe that extra cabin on the Squaddie 58 adds a significant extra cost.
These two 15m berths in SCM are pontoon berths and should be somewhere between £3000 and £4000 pa - including water and electricity.
I seen on an advert that popped up recently a 20m berth at SCM at €89k for 10 years

GravyStain

Visit site
Agreed Mike... The LOA of the 58 pushes it up a bracket from the 52 at all marinas as far as I can tell.