Squaddie 52?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'm drawn to the Squadron 52 precisely because it only has 2 massive cabins with massive en suites (and loads of room for all the other crap on board).

All I can say is that I thought the same a few years ago when I bought a 2 cabin AZ46 in Spain. I thought we are a couple with an only child so why do we need more than 2 cabins especially as the saloon sofa could be converted into a berth. The first thing that happened is that our son told us that he didnt want to go boating with us unless he could bring a friend but he wasnt going to share his berth with that friend. The second thing that happened was that my sister in law went through a messy marriage split and my SWMBO insisted that she accompanied us on our main summer holiday. So our son got turfed out of his cabin making him dislike the boat even more. And the 3rd thing that happened was that I invited some mates for a boys trip later in the year and I didnt properly explain the sleeping arrangements and one of them ended up sleeping on the flybridge because nobody wanted to share a double berth. All highly embarrassing. Inside a year I sold that boat and bought a 3 cabin boat and I would never buy a 2 cabin boat again. In fact my next will likely be a 4 cabin. I dont count the crew cabin as a cabin at least on the boats I've owned for 2 reasons. First they've been usually very pokey and uncomfortable and secondly we fill them with cruising junk like bikes, deck chairs etc and if you do use them regularly as a cabin the next question is where do you put all that junk

I'm not saying that any of the above would happen to you only to say that a Med boat serves a dual function not only as a boat but your holiday home and it needs to be sized accordingly.

vas

Visit site
+1 on 3cabins...
I bought a 43ft f/b boat with two cabins, converted it to three (obvs small) two kids (boy-girl)

son turned 18 two summers ago, took him with a few of his friends on a week cruise. He was happy to select only 3.
daughter turned 18 last summer, offered the same, ended up with 5 of her friends and her being annoyed that she couldn't call another two (of her "closest" friends...)
was definitely tight, but we do like camping and the girls had fun (plus had a chance to leave properly their homes and had to cook/tidy up/etc, offering them an intro to uni life...)
Acted as a skipper, so they were cooking onboard, ate crap with the girls, brilliantly with the boys - expected :D
Both cases stayed in a marina once.
Last summer spent over a month onboard with the wife (in one or two week sessions) spent two nights in a marina. Obvs depends how you want it, but Med is generally less marina hopping than up north.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

daughter turned 18 last summer, offered the same, ended up with 5 of her friends and her being annoyed that she couldn't call another two (of her "closest" friends...)
was definitely tight,

So there were 6 girls on your boat + you. I bet it was tight:love:

vas

Visit site
:)
all these girls have been passing/staying at our place for ages... Three of them are with my kids from 3yo! I know them and they know me v.well although granted house is a tad bigger than the boat :rolleyes:
It was good fun (except for the food...)
Only annoying thing was called "sugar daddy" from the blokes in a sailing yacht in one of the anchorages :LOL:

Bouba

Visit site
All I can say is that I thought the same a few years ago when I bought a 2 cabin AZ46 in Spain. I thought we are a couple with an only child so why do we need more than 2 cabins especially as the saloon sofa could be converted into a berth. The first thing that happened is that our son told us that he didnt want to go boating with us unless he could bring a friend but he wasnt going to share his berth with that friend. The second thing that happened was that my sister in law went through a messy marriage split and my SWMBO insisted that she accompanied us on our main summer holiday. So our son got turfed out of his cabin making him dislike the boat even more. And the 3rd thing that happened was that I invited some mates for a boys trip later in the year and I didnt properly explain the sleeping arrangements and one of them ended up sleeping on the flybridge because nobody wanted to share a double berth. All highly embarrassing. Inside a year I sold that boat and bought a 3 cabin boat and I would never buy a 2 cabin boat again. In fact my next will likely be a 4 cabin. I dont count the crew cabin as a cabin at least on the boats I've owned for 2 reasons. First they've been usually very pokey and uncomfortable and secondly we fill them with cruising junk like bikes, deck chairs etc and if you do use them regularly as a cabin the next question is where do you put all that junk

I'm not saying that any of the above would happen to you only to say that a Med boat serves a dual function not only as a boat but your holiday home and it needs to be sized accordingly.
My little boat has a bedroom for me and the admiral, plus a small bedroom for the admiral’s dog. I removed the sofa bed from the saloon and replaced it with an electric reclining sofa. So, we have no facilities for guests to stay the night. And for some reason that has never been an issue. But of course, we live close to the boat.