Squaddie 52?

GravyStain

Visit site
On my boat hunting I've been doing tons of searching (as everyone does when spending the thick end of Very Great Deal Of Money)!

Aaaaand.... I'm slightly taken by the oddball Fairline Squadron 52. It ticks a lot of boxes at a decent price point (which is a good £50 - 70k less than a Squaddie 58)

2 master cabins, each en suite. Crew quarters, utility room. We only have one child and nobody likes us so we'd never take more than one couple away with us :p:):cool:

This boat was from when Fairline were arguably in their pomp, 2005 ish.

I'd like your thoughts please - anyone owned or used one?
What's the engine access like?
Are the engines decent in general?
Decent fuel economy on pootle mode?
Is the Flybridge any good?
Any major flaws?

Thanks guys. Happy Easter!

Hurricane

Visit site
Presumably, you mean the late 1990's / early 2000's model.

I think the problem with the 52 was always the space/layout on the flybridge.
I was once interested in one but I think it falls very short of the 58's layout.
Only an outside observation though.

I was even keener on the older sister - the 62 but SWMBO didn't like either of them.
Then, you are almost getting into Princess 65 range.

GravyStain

Visit site
Presumably, you mean the late 1990's / early 2000's model.

I think the problem with the 52 was always the space/layout on the flybridge.
I was once interested in one but I think it falls very short of the 58's layout.
Only an outside observation though.

I was even keener on the older sister - the 62 but SWMBO didn't like either of them.
Then, you are almost getting into Princess 65 range.
Yes, the fly does look compromised...a bit tiddly.

fred247

Visit site
the sq52 will be my next boat! they were built from 1998 to 2001, there are several variants to the layout, twin forward cabin v berths, twin v berths to double conversion and a normal island bed. second cabin with either a settee or set of drawers. early boats had opposite galley access to later boats, which i prefer, watch out for med boats flybridge upholstery normally shot! engines D9 or D12's
internal vinyl blown and falling down. Flybridge ok but not massive, depends what you are looking for.

GravyStain

Visit site
the sq52 will be my next boat! they were built from 1998 to 2001, there are several variants to the layout, twin forward cabin v berths, twin v berths to double conversion and a normal island bed. second cabin with either a settee or set of drawers. early boats had opposite galley access to later boats, which i prefer, watch out for med boats flybridge upholstery normally shot! engines D9 or D12's
internal vinyl blown and falling down. Flybridge ok but not massive, depends what you are looking for.
What price range are you seeing? To me they look to be around the £200k mark?

fred247

Visit site
viewed several but not pulled the trigger yet, £200k to £230k made an offer on one but wasn't accepted needed loads of work so offered 120k plus vat , asking 175k + vat
you could look at the SQ 55 similar price range , but not for me, don't like the galley or internal flybridge steps

Last edited:

GravyStain

Visit site
Edit to my original post - The 52 is generally over £100k less than the 58...

Yes, the 58 IS an iconic Fairline generally beloved by all...but £100k difference (or 50 per cent more) than a 52?

GravyStain

Visit site
viewed several but not pulled the trigger yet, £200k to £230k made an offer on one but wasn't accepted needed loads of work so offered 120k plus vat , asking 175k + vat
you could look at the SQ 55 similar price range , but not for me, don't like the galley or internal flybridge steps
Takes all sorts Fred. I actually like the internal stairs and with a 5 year old would feel a tad safer using them. The one that you bid on and were turned down - care to send me the link (PM me if you'd rather take it off the forum).

GravyStain

Visit site
Hi @GravyStain glad you haven't given up! Is this still for the Med?
Very much so Scala... Although the scare stories around the whole EU thing is somewhat off-putting. I'm hoping to get away with the wife to some UK marinas and boat shows once we're out of lockdown.

It's very much a seller's market at the moment though...

roa312

Visit site
I know one previous owner and I don't think he ever experienced any major issues, where he also did pay for professional engine maintenance/check-ups etc. However, in this case the internal layouts didn't work so well for the family, but that is all individual after all.

As you say currently it is very much a sellers market - I know of a few of these boats that were previously for sale for a long time at 25-30% less than the current offering prices. I think you are right in saying that this boat is a bit of an oddball (maybe similarly to the Princess 52 from the same period).

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Very much so Scala... Although the scare stories around the whole EU thing is somewhat off-putting. I'm hoping to get away with the wife to some UK marinas and boat shows once we're out of lockdown.

It's very much a seller's market at the moment though...

Yep. You might some Brit boaters in the Med, getting out of the game. If you're keeping the boat there, buying something already there EU VAT Paid makes more sense to me than anything else.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I know one previous owner and I don't think he ever experienced any major issues, where he also did pay for professional engine maintenance/check-ups etc. However, in this case the internal layouts didn't work so well for the family, but that is all individual after all.

As you say currently it is very much a sellers market - I know of a few of these boats that were previously for sale for a long time at 25-30% less than the current offering prices. I think you are right in saying that this boat is a bit of an oddball (maybe similarly to the Princess 52 from the same period).
It's quite big for a 2 cabin boat.

fred247

Visit site
Takes all sorts Fred. I actually like the internal stairs and with a 5 year old would feel a tad safer using them. The one that you bid on and were turned down - care to send me the link (PM me if you'd rather take it off the forum).
unfortunately was sold last year! needed new carpets , vinyl through out, new upholstery flybridge, cockpit and internal helm seats , wood around the galley sun bleeched, damage to bathing platform. I estimated about 30-40k, hence low offer

Soco2

Visit site
I’ve just bought one, it’s an absolutely cracking boat and handling/ride is excellent!
I don’t have kids and don’t live that close so want a nice roomy boat for long weekends etc, the extra room and en-suite size appeal to meand I prefer it over the standard square design of a lot of other boats.
its really up to the individual and their requirement/priorities.
she’s running Volvo D12’s which really are right for the job ?

MBY did an article on my boat in 2015 :

Find Me A: 50ft flybridge - Motor Boat & Yachting

GravyStain

Visit site
I’ve just bought one, it’s an absolutely cracking boat and handling/ride is excellent!
I don’t have kids and don’t live that close so want a nice roomy boat for long weekends etc, the extra room and en-suite size appeal to meand I prefer it over the standard square design of a lot of other boats.
its really up to the individual and their requirement/priorities.
she’s running Volvo D12’s which really are right for the job ?

MBY did an article on my boat in 2015 :

Find Me A: 50ft flybridge - Motor Boat & Yachting

Is yours the boat on the Facebook channel? If so, lovely boat!