Sprit Rig for a small open boat

Romeo

Visit site
Thinking about converting to a sprit rig from a gunter. It will allow me to move the mast forward a bit, and do away with stays..... more space for the crew.

Anyone done the same, and any tips for getting the most out of a sprit rig?

Keith 66

Visit site
On the contrary the sprit rig can be very efficient, Having had one on on two different dinghies the snotter(bit that holds the bottom of the sprit up) needs to be adjustable & have a good purchase to adjust the peak of the sail. It is a nice sail to use without a boom as the sail just flaps over you head. However you need to be aware of what the block on the clew is doing as it can give you a good whack!
Sailing boomless the downside can be excessive sail twist which can make the boat roll downwind.

Romeo

Visit site
Have a look at the Optimist for a simple sprit. Lower centre of effort than the gunter, but less efficient.
What is the boat?

Double ended shetland derived boat called a North Sea Skiff. Lateral resistance from hull shape rather than from a centreboard. 15 feet long.

Romeo

Visit site
On the contrary the sprit rig can be very efficient, Having had one on on two different dinghies the snotter(bit that holds the bottom of the sprit up) needs to be adjustable & have a good purchase to adjust the peak of the sail. It is a nice sail to use without a boom as the sail just flaps over you head. However you need to be aware of what the block on the clew is doing as it can give you a good whack!
Sailing boomless the downside can be excessive sail twist which can make the boat roll downwind.

I am anticipating having a boom (as the optimist does) , rather than being loose footed, but would welcome comment on that too!

Keith 66

Visit site
A friend of mine had one of those boats, using a boom will be fine though you would probably be setting the sail loose footed with the boom rather than laced onto it, more control over sail shape & more drive.

srm

Visit site
Double ended shetland derived boat called a North Sea Skiff. Lateral resistance from hull shape rather than from a centreboard. 15 feet long.
If my memory serves the mold was originally taken from a wooden Shetland "Maid" by Thulecraft in Lerwick. Later they sold it to a company 'south' who rebranded it as the North Sea Skiff. The working (as opposed to racing) rig for the Maids was a dipping lug with the mast well forward, so your sprit rig will have a similar sail shape and should work well.