Sprayhood for small trailer sailer (Manta 19)

BenMurphy

Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can source a spray hood for a Manta 19? It's only a tiny boat and I paid not much for her so I don't want to spend a fortune - ideally < £400. Don't mind if it's second hand. Just something to give a little shelter to the kids and the missus if the sea picks up a bit!

Tranona

Visit site
Spray hoods are custom made - and cost much, much more than your budget!. On a small boat like that there may not even be enough room, particularly height between coachroof and boom to actually fit one.

Severn sails and Sabre sails are both in your area and do this kind of work.

Csfisher

Visit site
It would appear that it CAN be done, but not sure how much protection that would give and would also decrease visibility somewhat I should think.

Best bet is to ask to manufacturer what they can do, but I doubt you'd achieve it within your ideal budget. Also not sure you'd find something second hand that will fit.

Second picture isn't a manta but a similar sized boat (22ft I think). Note how they can't actually sit under the sprayhood so not sure how much shelter exactly it's providing.

What's your boom clearance?

Attachments

• 1977-manta-19--6.jpg
    1977-manta-19--6.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 30
  • PBO265.rupert_boats_feature.5_jaguar-22_highlight_jaguar_22_0706_001-credit-david-harding-sail...jpg
    PBO265.rupert_boats_feature.5_jaguar-22_highlight_jaguar_22_0706_001-credit-david-harding-sail...jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 32

pandos

Visit site
You might be able to make a solid one from ply and fiberglass...many links on line to YouTube's.

Their real advantage is keeping below dry when the hatch is open in the rain, which is essential when not sailing solo.

try FB for shoestring sailors, Gumtree etc. For a used one. Even if you could borrow one just to try it on the boat to see how it looked and functioned...

Somewhere I have one from an old Vivacity that you could have but it would cost you a fortune in carriage ...

I made my own using old tubes I found in the yard and a canvas that an other owner gave me. I made a new canvas to match the original but I hope to make a solid one this winter.

William_H

Visit site
I would suggest that a spray hood would have to be very high relative to the size of the boat to make access into the cabin easy. My only experience was a friend who had a 32fter with spray hood. I found it very difficult to get in to cabin (me being relatively tall). So even for a short person would need a similar height spray hood which ona 19fter would look completely disproportionate. In other words forget the idea. Let family hide in the cabin if seas or rain get up and they are getting wet. It is what I do on 21fter. ol'will

pandos

Visit site
I would suggest that a spray hood would have to be very high relative to the size of the boat to make access into the cabin easy. My only experience was a friend who had a 32fter with spray hood. I found it very difficult to get in to cabin (me being relatively tall). So even for a short person would need a similar height spray hood which ona 19fter would look completely disproportionate. In other words forget the idea. Let family hide in the cabin if seas or rain get up and they are getting wet. It is what I do on 21fter. ol'will
As I have said earlier I have one from a vivacity 21, which is a tiny boat. It was really handy for keeping things dry and made a big difference sitting in the cabin with the hatch open during bad weather... the alternative would have been sitting in a small cave ...or a shower ...

I hated it when sailing in good weather as it was always in my way but it golfed flat so no real issue. My friend who owned the boat never folded it because he was short enough to see through it whilst sitting...

In my view the smaller the boat the more important that one is fitted...in this part of the planet...

oldbloke

Visit site
I agree with the posts above, the chances of getting significant use able shelter from a spray hood are slim, and it will cost you. A much simpler way of getting air and rain protection when not under way is a simple over boom cover. Easy to make a diy (noisy) one for nothing from polytarp, or a proper one from proper stuff for a bit more

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I had a 22' yacht which came with a very nice sprayhood with SS tubing.
It was dangerous trying to get on deck even with it folded down.

I sold it and bought a nice quality tarp which I never used.