Spray hood window problem

Birdseye

Visit site
Boat has a spray hood and a Wendy house made by different companies, but in both cases the bottom couple of inches of the windows have turned brown/green with what feels like a surface deposit or roughness. Worst on theirSouth side of the boat so likely something to do with UV degradation. Anybody found a way of removing this. Tried plastic window polish and it was not strong enough. Tried boat polish and whilst it removed some of the deposit the window left was opaque

Poignard

Visit site
"Wendy House" :D

We must be a bit posh, we call ours the Conservatory! :rolleyes:

I don't think there is a solution other than to renew the windows.

Wilkinson Sails, Faversham, (a contributor to this forum) replaced those in my sprayhood in 2015. A very neat job done and a reasonable price.

A long way from you but you could send your sprayhood and Wendy House by courier.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
UV damage to spray hood windows is why I have zip covers on the outside.

The covers need to have a soft fabric inside to help prevent scratching the outside of the plastic spray hood windows

Visit site
Green is algae which should wash off. Brown is UV degraded plastic which can't be restored. It goes brittle as well as brown. Time for some new ones.

Skylark

Visit site
The windows in my sprayhood were showing signs of age at 6 years old. Some of the stitching was also showing signs of damage from UK. Over winter, I had it cleaned, windows replaced and over-stitched. I can’t recall the cost but it was not expensive, around a couple of hundred pounds. Done by loft in north Wales.

ashtead

Visit site
I have recent had our spray hood windows replaced and also added canvas pop stud covers as last windows misted after 5 years. We also have zippers around windows but you need to use regularly to stop zips salting up. Our plastic windows sit above hard widescreen but even so quite useful to unzip to let in a breeze.

Birdseye

Visit site
The windows in my sprayhood were showing signs of age at 6 years old. Some of the stitching was also showing signs of damage from UK. Over winter, I had it cleaned, windows replaced and over-stitched. I can’t recall the cost but it was not expensive, around a couple of hundred pounds. Done by loft in north Wales.

And in the same sentence too!.

Wasnt the loft in Pwhlleli you use was it - 3 initials but I just cant call them to mind at the moment. Something like JKA. Anyway they made the wendy house. Never happy with it. And this problem has developed after only 11 years.

Skylark

Visit site
And in the same sentence too!.

Wasnt the loft in Pwhlleli you use was it - 3 initials but I just cant call them to mind at the moment. Something like JKA. Anyway they made the wendy house. Never happy with it. And this problem has developed after only 11 years.

I use Boat Shed, based at Dinorwic. He also has a loft in Pwllheli but I don’t know if it’s the one to which you refer. He made a Bimini/Cockpit tent for me a few years ago. Great service, happy customer.

Edit.
He acquired JKA in 2018.

The Boatshed Sailmakers

There's a good example of his work in the Gallery tab of his website ;)

Last edited:

colind3782

Visit site
Having fitted my third sprayhood, the previous two having been done in by the Spanish sun, I came up with the idea of covering it when away from the boat. €15 for a 3x2m blue tarp and some bungies to the toerail and it's still as good as new.

colind3782

Visit site
Good suggestion but it's far too windy round here for something like that.

I seriously doubt that. The cover is fine in the wind and when the Tramontana blows in Empuriabrava, sometimes up to 60 kmh and funnelled through the marina buildings it still holds well. If, for some reason it doesn't, I'll dip into the piggy bank and splash out €15 on another one. It's better than leaving the expensive sprayhood out in the sun for extended periods.49748495_359086508205989_1187962111255379968_n.jpg

Last edited: