Spot message sample

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I'm looking for a "spot" position message in order to try and automise the position loading on the web site for thurther events.
Who could provide me with a sample ? (andlauere at yahoo.fr)
Eric

ronwestcott

Visit site
Hi Eric

I can send in on samples of the various types of messages available on SPOT. I sort it later today and post.

ronwestcott

Visit site
Hi Eric

SPOT can send two types of 'non-emergency' position messages.

Firstly a 'Tracker' option which send a position automatically every 15 mintues (I think) for a 24 hour period. This is probably the least useful for us of the two, however, as you have a pay an additional subsription annually, the SPOT has to be secured on deck face up, it has to be manually 're-triggered' every 24 hours and it runs the batteries down in seven days with no external power options.

The second way is the manually triggered 'I'm OK' option. This is what I used on a regular (twice per day) basis whilst on JC. The resulting message can be sent to any and as many email addresses as you want. This requires no additional subsription over the minimum annual contract and minimises battery useage (Lithium AA batterys)

A sample message generated is:

<span style="color:red"> Regular check in from Ron Westcott on Cornet. All OK. Click on link below to see latest position on Google Maps. </span>
ESN:0-7393390
Latitude:47.1628
Longitude:-8.5306
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:06/04/2008 08:44:27 (GMT)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=47.1628,-8.5306&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

The top line I've shown in red is the customisable part of the message which each individual SOPT users set up on-line to suit their own needs. The rest of the message is generated automatically as standard.

If you want any further iformation Eric let me know.

Regards

Ron

Pye_End

Visit site
Your bit in red - is this a short meassage that you can make up with each send - ie can you sit in your cockpit, concoct a short message that you send with the position, or is it not quite that simple?

ronwestcott

Visit site
It's not set up from the SPOT but on-line on the internet so if you have a laptop and satphone you could change it each time (but then you could send an email!) but otherwise you set it up before departing and it's the same each time.