SPOT Check - check!!

Independence

Visit site
I'd be interested to learn if anyone else who purchased a SPOT is having problems.

I purchased mine a couple of months ago, loaded my contacts and successfully sent trial messages.

A couple of weeks ago I went to add another e-mail address and noticed all my contacts to have disapeared.

I sent an e-mail to the customer service address supplied on the web site but heard nothing.

A few days later I re-loaded the e-mail contacts again, logged off and logged back in to check they were there.....which they were.

I then sent another test at the weekend to learn that none had been received. When checking my log on I noticed all the e-mail addresses had disappeared again.

I e-mailed the customer service and US sales manager for help but have heard nothing!!!

I'll shortly be getting on the phone but wondered if anyone else had checked recently.....could be a show stopper for the device if contacts disappear.

Is it just me?

Paul

CPD

Visit site
Hi Paul, I dont have a SPOT device but is it possibe that it has an internal battery that needs replacing ????? Just a thought !.

Independence

Visit site
Alan,

Good thought about the battery but the SPOT has hardly been used and the necessary lights seem to flash when they are supposed to flash!! That still wouldn't answer why the e-mail addresses keep disappearing from the web page.

If I get to the bottom of it I'll post a note.

Regards

Paul

CPD

Visit site
Paul, I seem to remember seeing a chap on the Jester Yahoo email system who has one and was full of praise for it. It might be worth trying on there ??. Good luck with it.

Independence

Visit site
May have been an element of operator error here (me!!!).

Not sure how or why but it seems to be working all OK. Will keep an eye on it before leaving!!

Paul

Visit site
Hi Paul
Glad you have sorted your problems. I was beginning to wonder if I had been lucky as mine is performing as advertised (Except for the text to mobile bit of course!)
I have had a few problems though with logging in, it often needs a change of password which is a bit of a pain. Also as you have discovered thier customer service is the pits! I had more luck with a sales contact in Ireland. If you need her e-mail I will look it up on the home computer.
I was wondering about using the 'help' button for situations like a rigging failure which might cause a diversion to mainland Europe. If I understand it correctly the system merely sends a series of e-mails to the nominated contact and doesn't alert the authorities so it should be OK. Obviously the shore contact will see a change of course with the OK button but that may be due to weather etc so my better half thinks it could be a good idea. What are your thoughts?

Graham

Visit site
Hi Paul and Golden_Dragon
My brother has a SPOT that I registered for him on the 9 April 08, it all seems to be working OK, and the registered details remain on their website.

I like the idea of using the help button (NOT the 911 button) to advise people at home that you are OK but for some reason you have abandoned your original destination to seek a nearer port. I will discuss it with my brother and keep watching here for other ideas.

There was an interesting reply to my last thread about SPOT on this Jester forum see below http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1819594/an/0/page/0#1819594

I found the instructions not all that simple to follow so I made up my own, which I details below should anyone be interested.

Good luck to all those taking part in this years Jester Challenge, I wish you well.

George.

SPOT - Satellite Messenger

After sending any message leave SPOT turned on for at least 20 minutes to make sure messages have been sent.

ON / OFF
To turn on - Press but do not hold.
To turn off - Press and hold for 3 seconds.

Wait while SPOT self tests and locates satellites before pressing any other buttons.
To test the system send an OK message after start up is complete.
Turning off, cancels all outstanding messages.

While turned on the “ON” indicator light will flash every 3 seconds.

To activate - Press and hold for 2 seconds.
To cancel - Press and hold for 3 seconds.

Send distress signal to the appropriate emergency services, based on your location, this will also be sent to your contacts. The signal will include your position and personal information.

A message will be sent every 5 minutes.

The flashing light will flash green every 3 seconds and stay on green for 5 seconds while sending.
If cancelled the flashing light will flash red every 3 seconds and will stay on red for 5 seconds while cancelling.

HELP
To activate - Press and hold for 2 seconds.
To cancel - Press and hold for 3 seconds.

Notify your contacts that you need assistance. Use this for non life threatening situations.

A message will be sent every 5 minutes for 1 hour.

The flashing light will flash green every 3 seconds and stay on green for 5 seconds while sending.
If cancelled the flashing light will flash red every 3 seconds and will stay on red for 5 seconds while cancelling.

OK
To activate - Press button.
There is no cancel once activated.

Notify your contacts that you are OK and advise them of your position.

A message will be sent up to 3 times, after sending without error, remaining messages will be discarded.