Speed of Viking 'Longships'

alant

Visit site
Speed of Viking \'Longships\'

Have been working in Denmark & the locals claim that there is evidence (+ replica), that a Viking Longboat has/can achieve 23-24 knots under sail.

Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Is/was it possible?

No Regrets

Visit site
Re: Speed of Viking \'Longships\'

Depends how good the drummer is I suppose.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Woodlouse

Visit site

Was along side a Danish replica longship in Brest. They said that they'd had 17 knots out of her. Only about 60 foot too. So I don't see it as impossible that some of the more rakish big longships were capable of topping 20.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site

There was a programme on very recently (Discovery Channel or similar) which reported this too; the theory was that the Viking Longboats were quite lightly built and had a hull shape which allowed them to surf at well above displacement hull-speed.

LadyJessie

Visit site

If you look at the distances the Viking ships were able to cover; from the continent we today call America all the way deep into Asia Minor, I think you can logically work out that the boats had to have been very fast. They were relatively small so were not able to carry much stores. Therefore, the crew would have starved to death if they were not able to achieve fast passage times.

I have seen a Viking replica boat in Norway and the hull form is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Clearly a slippery hull.

reginaldon

Visit site

I have seen a Viking replica boat in Norway and the hull form is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Clearly a slippery hull.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't have to go that far, just go to Pegwell Bay in Thanet - agreed, beautiful lines!

Alfie168

Visit site

In this day and age surely they can build one and prove it or otherwise.

I sailed a couple of times on the Endeavour Replica, which is a perfect copy of Captain Cooks ship, and the crew reckoned she was at least a couple of knots faster than the original judging from Cooks log. You have to bear in mind that modern rigging and sail materials can be driven harder, and also help was only a radio call away, so Cook probably played safer with the ship. My memory is rusty, but I think the replica could see 14 knots. I could be wrong there.

Tim

michaelh

Visit site

They did Here

[ QUOTE ]
Island jumping is the name for sailing from the Shetlands to the Faro islands and from there onwards on the north Atlantic. From old travel stories we know that with an average speed of six knots it wouldn’t take more than 1 – 4 days before the navigator could see the next island. Furthermore most islands in the North Atlantic are quite high and can be seen from a far distance if there’s now fog, which is common during summer on these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried to search the logs but speed doesn't seem to feature in them. I saw this coming round Scotland last year. It was flat calm and they were doing about half a knot. The actual logs are available, I think, on the Danish version of the web page.

I can't read Danish /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dyflin

Visit site

"The Sea Stallion Of Glendalough is 30 meters long and 3.8 meters wide and needs 0.9 meters of water to float, with a displacement of 24 ton. It has two means of propulsion - a square, 120 square meter sail and 60 oars. With a crew of 65, there's 0.8 square meter available per person, making it as cramped aboard the long ship as aboard a submarine. The average viking around 1000 AD was approximately 10 centimeters shorter than today's Dane, but it was still very tight even for them. A voyage made in 2006 with 65 crew showed an average cruising speed of 5.5 nautical knots and a top speed of 15-20 nautical knots.

http://www.vikingdenmark.com/viking-ships-roskilde-denmark.html

Alfie168

Visit site

I did see a programme about this ship on Telly a few months back, but they seemed more concerned with survival than speed.

I've no doubt the hulls would be good for 20+ knots. What would worry me is the control issue with just one Steerboard. At that speed they would probably be out of control in any real sense of the word. I know I would be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The cruncher will be when they find the Viking water skis in a long boat burial /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tim

michaelh

Visit site

Talked to the crew; The worst thing for them was rain when they were asleep, since they were not allowed any sleeping bags in case they needed to get up in a rush. So they slept under a blanket between the thwarts. Just like real Vikings I guess

johnwest

Visit site

I left Portsmouth Harbour a couple of months ago in our company rib, as a replica longship was leaving. She had a f4/5 on her beam with 3/4 sail and was making approx 10-12 knots. Very impressive, and no doubt could have increased her speed if she had wished.
This was the one that had wintered somewhere in Ireland and had taken refuge in Falmouth after a rough passage around Lands End

j

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Lots of people have built and sailed replicas of Viking ships from 1893 (soon after the discovery of the Gokstad and Oseberg ships). This Link is about the earliest; this Link gives a list of replicas - there are lots! They have been shown to be fast and effective sea-boats. Archaeological studies show that while not capable of being sailed close-hauled, they could certainly sail well off the wind. Their extreme flexibility (the keel is not joined to the ribs except by the bottom strakes of the hull) is reported to give them excellent wave-riding properties. It is also reported to be very alarming for people used to modern, more rigid, type of construction!