Speed Limit on the Deben Lifted

johnalison

Visit site
A camera can be an effective deterrent to jet-skis. I don't know what the long-term effect is but I have managed to effect some degree of control in the Pyefleet and Hamford Water by conspicuously pointing my camera at them. This has occasionally led to verbal aggression from them but stick and stones etc.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
And who else do you think can enforce
I did once.....

Very early 90s and anchored off Bradwell Creek with a charter party on board. A couple of jetskis seemed to think it was entertaining to keep circling us and performing their little tricks. I'd made it clear they should go away (politely at first) but they didn't oblige - possibly because some of the charter party were teenage girls. After about ten minutes I'd had enough and threw an empty mug at one of them after they started giving me the finger. Amazingly the mug hit one of the plastic panels and allegedly broke it. That made them disappear.

I thought no more about it (except feeling quite smug about my aim and wishing I could manage it playing cricket) but Alert III turned-up about an hour later at the behest of the jetskiers. The police came on board for a chat, drank tea, ate biscuits and after hearing the whole story went away laughing. No further action needed or taken.

I'd do exactly the same thing again if I felt the situation warranted it.

Interesting that violence is your answer

Bigplumbs

Visit site
A camera can be an effective deterrent to jet-skis. I don't know what the long-term effect is but I have managed to effect some degree of control in the Pyefleet and Hamford Water by conspicuously pointing my camera at them. This has occasionally led to verbal aggression from them but stick and stones etc.

Priceless

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I do say so, because you are mistaken.

There are lots of people on and around the waterways with the power to instigate legal proceedings against those who break the rules on the water, not just the police.

Instigating legal proceedings is completely different from enforcement. I think you need to brush up a little on the various types of Law. Go on have a little google.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Interesting that violence is your answer
You seem determined to misunderstand.... My response was robust and I was unapologetic, but if you re-read my post you'll see that I'd already tried various other methods, all of which had failed. Faced with a couple of goons who had no intention of behaving themselves it seemed a justified choice. The police unofficially agreed as well.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Instigating legal proceedings is completely different from enforcement. I think you need to brush up a little on the various types of Law. Go on have a little google.

You said:

Re speed limits and the law few people realise that the only people who can take action and enforce this are the Police and no one else.

That's utter nonsense. For instance, the Haven patrol vessel can enforce the speed limits and other bye laws, no need for any police involvement whatsoever. They can take you to court and you will get fined.

How about some examples of inland law breakers having action taken against them and local laws being enforced with zero police involvement:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/boat-owners-fined-for-speeding-on-broads-7793874

This is the ECF, we don't usually have to suffer Trolls, but i guess there is always one.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
You think that jet-skis or others wilfully exceeding the speed limit should expect to be able to do so without eliciting any response?

The point of this thread is that at certain times of the year there are no speed limits.

People should certainly still be responsible in certain areas of the river but basically no limits exist in these particular months

johnalison

Visit site
There are many things, such as adultery or not washing that are perfectly legal but that don’t meet general approval. Just because something is allowed doesn’t make it right.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
There are many things, such as adultery or not washing that are perfectly legal but that don’t meet general approval. Just because something is allowed doesn’t make it right.

Does that apply to the things you like or just the things you don't I wonder. Who decides what is right and proper and indeed what has general approval..... Perhaps it should be you who decides.:eek:

If it were me I would put a total ban on Bird Watching. I don't like it so I am sure it does not have general approval ;)

As for Adultery Well I think you might find if people were honest that it might actually have general approval. But what would I know.

Fact remains that at the moment Speed Restrictions on the Deben are lifted. Does that mean you should go roaring about like a person possessed. absolutely not is my view.

How many knots can you squeeze out of your boat

Last edited: