Speed Limit on the Deben Lifted

ashtead

Visit site
I’m just mindful of what happens when a redjet is hit by a lunatic in a jetski let alone when peaceful swimmers or those in canoes row boats or sailing meet fast moving jetski . They have a place but not in rivers or harbours or lakes in summary . For some reason other powered craft seem to understand this but people drive jetski like they are on a racetrack.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I’m just mindful of what happens when a redjet is hit by a lunatic in a jetski let alone when peaceful swimmers or those in canoes row boats or sailing meet fast moving jetski . They have a place but not in rivers or harbours or lakes in summary . For some reason other powered craft seem to understand this but people drive jetski like they are on a racetrack.

Not too many Redjets on the Deben and sometimes very few boats at all

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Surely the narrow focus on 'the river' being all about boats, how fast they can go and what else humans can do in the river channel is rather missing the point. The Deben valley is a beatiful, relatively natural space (in as much as anything is in the SE) with a valued ambiance and we should all respect that space and care for it however we use it whether walkers, sailors, bird watchers or house occupants. We should also be minful of our impact upon it with regards to the the wildlife, the physical space and each other. The audible and potentially physical impact of high performance engines does not sit well with many in such a setting and we would do well to rember that when other interests outside of boating could very well legislate against it (remember the Windermere speed limit). There is plenty of open sea close by where this activity can take place with far less perceived impact.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Surely the narrow focus on 'the river' being all about boats, how fast they can go and what else humans can do in the river channel is rather missing the point. The Deben valley is a beatiful, relatively natural space (in as much as anything is in the SE) with a valued ambiance and we should all respect that space and care for it however we use it whether walkers, sailors, bird watchers or house occupants. We should also be minful of our impact upon it with regards to the the wildlife, the physical space and each other. The audible and potentially physical impact of high performance engines does not sit well with many in such a setting and we would do well to rember that when other interests outside of boating could very well legislate against it (remember the Windermere speed limit). There is plenty of open sea close by where this activity can take place with far less perceived impact.

I think it should be remembered that Humans are also part of the natural world

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I think it should be remembered that Humans are also part of the natural world
I suspect you've deliberately missed the point there.

Be interested to hear your personal view of PWC, the typical demographic who use them, and whether you believe they're more or less likely to cause irritation to us and damage to the rivers (and I ask the question in full knowledge that there are plenty of ignorant and incompetent yachties out there too). Answering that the rivers are there for all won't be a good enough answer!

Bigplumbs

Visit site

Be interested to hear your personal view of PWC, the typical demographic who use them, and whether you believe they're more or less likely to cause irritation to us and damage to the rivers (and I ask the question in full knowledge that there are plenty of ignorant and incompetent yachties out there too). Answering that the rivers are there for all won't be a good enough answer!

I somewhat think you have asked a question and have tried to channel the answer to what you feel is the answer you would like. But my answer would be that there are many very responsible PWC users and as you say many irresponsible people who use the wind for power. As for demographic I am not sure categorising humans is particularly helpful. And yes the rivers are indeed for all to enjoy. If you don't like that answer that is of course your problem.

Bigplumbs

Visit site

Might I ask you how long you have lived in Suffolk. I have been here from the age of 0 to 58 and lived in the countryside all that time. Gives me a few qualifications in the University of life don't you think and some understanding of the natural world

Major_Clanger

Visit site
I somewhat think you have asked a question and have tried to channel the answer to what you feel is the answer you would like. But my answer would be that there are many very responsible PWC users and as you say many irresponsible people who use the wind for power. As for demographic I am not sure categorising humans is particularly helpful. And yes the rivers are indeed for all to enjoy. If you don't like that answer that is of course your problem.
Well I admit my question was partly rhetorical but you've answered it nonetheless, and with pretty much the response I expected. Rivers are there for all to enjoy, but perhaps they shouldn't be.

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Might I ask you how long you have lived in Suffolk. I have been here from the age of 0 to 58 and lived in the countryside all that time. Gives me a few qualifications in the University of life don't you think and some understanding of the natural world
Not that long, though moved about in East Anglia for over thirty years and always in a rural environment. Being country boys does give us an understanding of our surroundings, I agree. But that doesn't equate to having a respect for it (and that's in general, not directed at you).

Returning to topic, I don't agree that speed limits should be lifted during winter. It only benefits humans and doesn't take in to account what's best for the river and its other inhabitants.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Not that long, though moved about in East Anglia for over thirty years and always in a rural environment. Being country boys does give us an understanding of our surroundings, I agree. But that doesn't equate to having a respect for it (and that's in general, not directed at you).

Returning to topic, I don't agree that speed limits should be lifted during winter. It only benefits humans and doesn't take in to account what's best for the river and its other inhabitants.

Here is what I think might be another interesting viewpoint.

People who study birds and other wildlife seem to be very joyful when that 'creature' does what it naturally does be it kill and eat a fish, Dig holes in the river bank, or in the case of a bird of prey Rip another animal apart while it is often still alive or in the case of a seagull crap everywhere. These same people very often get upset when Humans do what they naturally do having progressed to things like PWC's and fast water craft. Should make people think I hope.

Another couple of thoughts:

Is something beautiful if no one ever sees it.

Silence is the sound of death.......... Noise is the sound of life.

If a seagull could ride on a jet ski I bet it would ;)

Bigplumbs

Visit site

Why does going fast on the river cause issues with the wildlife. My thoughts:

1) You are assuming that wildlife cares about noise. Loads of wildlife thrive in the verges along side major roads
2) If done at any point below high water it has no effect on the banks further natural wind over tide situations cause far more sustained waves at the bank
3) In reality the use in winter by faster craft will be very small
4) The slow boys have it in Summer but the fast boys have to put up with winter.... Perhaps we should alternate.
5) Any sailing vessel will exceed the speed limit at all times if it can and the wind is right - That is a side comment but thought I would throw it in.
6) Fast spinning propellers airate the water which is good for it
7) Fast moving craft on any river keeps it from clogging up with weed etc (Grant you not true of the Deben)
8) I have a very good friend on the Deben called sally the seagull and she tells me she loves watching fast boats from the air

johnalison

Visit site
Is something beautiful if no one ever sees it.

Silence is the sound of death.......... Noise is the sound of life.

If a seagull could ride on a jet ski I bet it would ;)
The Earth may not have been beautiful before Homo arrived to witness it, but beauty is a fragile thing that can easily and often be irrevocably lost. I would love to have been able to leave the City of London and wander among the farms in Knightsbridge, but this is never again going to be possible. The Deben is no longer the jewel it was fifty years ago when you could sail, anchor or swim without risk or disturbance, but this at least is remediable.

Just because you get pleasure from noise does not mean that others enjoy your fun. Most of us have come to appreciate that silence, darkness and peace are positive things. Gulls, at least Herring Gulls, are pretty coarse creatures, though they have their own virtues. Terns, Common, Sandwich, or Little, all locally present for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, will not survive to breed if they are disturbed, and the same goes for what should be numerous shore birds and passerines who are voting with their wings and leaving.

Major_Clanger

Visit site

Why does going fast on the river cause issues with the wildlife. My thoughts:

1) You are assuming that wildlife cares about noise. Loads of wildlife thrive in the verges along side major roads
2) If done at any point below high water it has no effect on the banks further natural wind over tide situations cause far more sustained waves at the bank
3) In reality the use in winter by faster craft will be very small
4) The slow boys have it in Summer but the fast boys have to put up with winter.... Perhaps we should alternate.
5) Any sailing vessel will exceed the speed limit at all times if it can and the wind is right - That is a side comment but thought I would throw it in.
6) Fast spinning propellers airate the water which is good for it
7) Fast moving craft on any river keeps it from clogging up with weed etc (Grant you not true of the Deben)
8) I have a very good friend on the Deben called sally the seagull and she tells me she loves watching fast boats from the air
I'm afraid that's just a load of meaningless guff.