Speed Limit on the Deben Lifted

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I think now that it is October the Speed limit on the Deben is lifted till I think the end or March. Obviously it is important to keep an eye on wash and be sensible when near moored craft.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the speed limit gets lifted on the Orwell, Stour and Ore in a similar way ?

Greg2

Visit site
Interesting. So you know who manages / enforces the speed limit and where is it published that it is lifted seasonally?

Leighb

Visit site
I think now that it is October the Speed limit on the Deben is lifted till I think the end or March. Obviously it is important to keep an eye on wash and be sensible when near moored craft.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the speed limit gets lifted on the Orwell, Stour and Ore in a similar way ?
The limits on the Orwell and Stour are year round AFAIK, don’t know about the Ore.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
There are no speed limits posted on the Ore to my knowledge. The stretch below Dove Point/ Havergate Island is the unofficial water skiing area.
There are speed signs of 5 knots (I think) through the moorings at Slaughden which are overlooked by various boatmen and Club people.
Fortunately there are only problems on High Days and Holidays when some people think it a hoot to rip up and down the Butley River for some bizarre reason, which probably includes 'impressing' their visitors.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Don’t let the jet ski lunatics read this otherwise you will have no peace
They wont find anywhere to 'launch' hopefully. The only launching slip for speed boats in them parts charges about £50 and are closely monitored.
Another 2 page spin on the area by last weeks Saturday Times ended by saying the best place to go 'wild swimming' in the area is the B----y Creek. These people are determined to spoil what peace is left on these rivers. Thankfully the water sports business at Iken seems to of had their expansion plans rejected.

johnalison

Visit site
They wont find anywhere to 'launch' hopefully. The only launching slip for speed boats in them parts charges about £50 and are closely monitored.
Another 2 page spin on the area by last weeks Saturday Times ended by saying the best place to go 'wild swimming' in the area is the B----y Creek. These people are determined to spoil what peace is left on these rivers. Thankfully the water sports business at Iken seems to of had their expansion plans rejected.
Is wild swimming a problem? I only ask because it is not something I have thought about, not being even much of a tame swimmer myself. I can see that they are a problem on inland waters in some places but I would have thought that they produced little disturbance and only presented a risk to themselves.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Is wild swimming a problem? I only ask because it is not something I have thought about, not being even much of a tame swimmer myself. I can see that they are a problem on inland waters in some places but I would have thought that they produced little disturbance and only presented a risk to themselves.
John the problem is not people in the water it is people in general. I have always delighted to see the occasional person or even family swimming in the local rivers. However, as has been proven in the last two summers, people seem to delight in crowds and dont seem to have the imagination to seek out the backwaters and genuine secrets of the countryside. To get access to this waterway there is a hidden car-park for around 5 cars, next to a private farm, then a walk through the fields. To publicise this in a national newspaper tourist supplement can only spell ruin to another unspoilt and tranquil place. 'Wild swimming' is the latest thing for the hipsters dontyouknow?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
What is the purpose of doing this?
Presumably there is one...

I don't know, and would be interested to hear from anyone who does.

I guess that with fewer boats on moorings, etc., the need for the speed limit is lessened, and in the short daylight hours of the winter, and bearing in mind the tidal restrictions on entry/egress from the river, the lifting of the limit better allows fishing and other boats to be used in the winter months. It may, perhaps, date from the original imposition of the speed limit, where a summer speed limit could be justified, but a winter one less so, and this is the compromise that could achieve widest support. (All pure conjecture on my part, of course.)

I imagine that there is still a requirement to avoid harm to other craft & users.

johnalison

Visit site
John the problem is not people in the water it is people in general. I have always delighted to see the occasional person or even family swimming in the local rivers. However, as has been proven in the last two summers, people seem to delight in crowds and dont seem to have the imagination to seek out the backwaters and genuine secrets of the countryside. To get access to this waterway there is a hidden car-park for around 5 cars, next to a private farm, then a walk through the fields. To publicise this in a national newspaper tourist supplement can only spell ruin to another unspoilt and tranquil place. 'Wild swimming' is the latest thing for the hipsters dontyouknow?
Fair enough. I’ll go with that. One of our sailing friends, now widowed, has been a wild sailor for as long as I can remember. I’m not sure how she would react to being called a hipster. I daren‘t even try it.

Bigplumbs

Visit site

On Wednesday the week before last there was a group of wild swimmers who swam from Woodbridge to I think as far as Ramsholt or even further. Quite a feat in my view. They were all towing small orange markers and I think there was a boat with them but not entirely sure. Either way they were in quite some danger I thought as You sort of don't expect them to be there but I did spot then but they were quite hard to see depending on the size of your craft. I actually put out a message on 16 to make other boaters aware.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Interesting. So you know who manages / enforces the speed limit and where is it published that it is lifted seasonally?

I few years ago I found the information via a google search but just wondered if it is still the case (which I think it is) but could not find similar about the other rivers I mentioned hence my question.

Bigplumbs

Visit site

Reading your posts it seems as though you may not think these waters are for every one to enjoy. Prey tell us who you think they are for..... Surely not just the rag and stick brigade.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Reading your posts it seems as though you may not think these waters are for every one to enjoy. Prey tell us who you think they are for..... Surely not just the rag and stick brigade.
I am certainly in no position or have an attitude regarding the entitlement of peoples use of 'these waters'.
Truthfully I was having a minor off topic discussion with Johnalison about Wild Swimming and my personal opinion regarding the phenomena
of mass tourism. I really don't want to get into an argument about this, sorry.
There has certainly been bad and unpleasant behaviour in recent unusual times. The waters are self policed and rely on common sense, some rules and good manners. I truly hope that never changes.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I am certainly in no position or have an attitude regarding the entitlement of peoples use of 'these waters'.
Truthfully I was having a minor off topic discussion with Johnalison about Wild Swimming and my personal opinion regarding the phenomena
of mass tourism. I really don't want to get into an argument about this, sorry.
There has certainly been bad and unpleasant behaviour in recent unusual times. The waters are self policed and rely on common sense, some rules and good manners. I truly hope that never changes.

Very true. Common sense and good manners go a long way in my book

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
People swimming in non coastal waters is very common in Holland as you probably know, and I suspect came way before the term "Wild Swimming". They seem to cope with it OK. I was on the pontoons at Brightlingsea a couple of seasons ago and two couples from a Dutch yacht got changed and jumped in. They were advised that it might not be a good idea which I think was sensible.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Further to my earlier post #10,

a) the Deben speed limits apply only to pleasure craft (and during the months May to September); and

b) there is a general, year round requirement that boats not 'be driven or sailed in a dangerous manner or without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons', but this also applies only to pleasure craft! :oops:

The 'full copy of the River Deben Bylaws' -
https://www.riverdeben.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/River-Deben-Byelaws.pdf