Speaking of Sails........3DL v Panel Sails Life and Performance

scruff

Visit site
If you go on "Sailing Yacht Florence" on YouTube, they recently put up a video of a tour of Rolley Tasker (sp?) Sails in the far east.

Basic premise was laminate sails will last circa 6-8 years, but be within 10% of design shape for their full life till they are blown out and in tatters.

Panel, dacron sails will last longer, but will be baggy, misshapen long, long before the fabric fails. Something like 10% year one, 30% year two etc.

These figures I gathered were in relation to full time cruisers, as against weekend warriors.

Quite a good video actually, quite informative.

Debenair

Visit site
The Ran couple did a similar with Gran Segel in Malmo, who were of the same opinion.
I am an unrepentant fan of “laminates”. I have a non class main for my Hawk 20 in Dimension GPL Liteskin . It is superb , and many times better than the class main in Dacron. No surprise really as the class main is of a cut and material which may have been reasonably decent when originally designed 30 years ago......

Lightwave395

Visit site
I had early generation North 3DL's 20 years ago on my J44, wore well even back then, I would think they're much improved now - set perfectly and the boat was noticeably quicker than the Doyle Kevlar sails I also used

Ingwe

Visit site
This is now an incredibly complicated subject because there are so many variations nowadays and before speaking to any sailmaker you need to have read all the info on their website and have a pretty good idea of what you want them to aim at between maximum performance and maximum longevity and their are pro's and cons to each material.

If you want the absolute best longevity from a race sail one of the versions of north 3di is probably about a bullet proof as you will get but in the versions that are aimed at longevity are quite heavy and there are other versions of 3di which probably offer the best performance currently possible (not sure if they have a better version for light airs yet as haven't had a 3di raw sail yet).

In more traditional string sails that most other sailmaker will supply, ultimate performance is probably still from a lightweight clear laminate sail they have been around for ages, but the longevity isn't great because the film eventually breaks down with creasing, the old solution to this was adding a taffeta membrane to one or both sides. This has now been superseded as mentioned above by Lite Skin membranes which are lighter than taffeta but seam to offer similar longevity and if you don't want 3di then most of the sailmakers I know seam to think that these offer the best performance / longevity compromise for all but elite racing, the only snag with them as with all grey sails is that there can be issues seeing tell tales through them. My last 3 sails have been light speed and they all look very good after a couple of seasons.

flaming

Visit site
This is now an incredibly complicated subject because there are so many variations nowadays and before speaking to any sailmaker you need to have read all the info on their website and have a pretty good idea of what you want them to aim at between maximum performance and maximum longevity and their are pro's and cons to each material.

If you want the absolute best longevity from a race sail one of the versions of north 3di is probably about a bullet proof as you will get but in the versions that are aimed at longevity are quite heavy and there are other versions of 3di which probably offer the best performance currently possible (not sure if they have a better version for light airs yet as haven't had a 3di raw sail yet).

In more traditional string sails that most other sailmaker will supply, ultimate performance is probably still from a lightweight clear laminate sail they have been around for ages, but the longevity isn't great because the film eventually breaks down with creasing, the old solution to this was adding a taffeta membrane to one or both sides. This has now been superseded as mentioned above by Lite Skin membranes which are lighter than taffeta but seam to offer similar longevity and if you don't want 3di then most of the sailmakers I know seam to think that these offer the best performance / longevity compromise for all but elite racing, the only snag with them as with all grey sails is that there can be issues seeing tell tales through them. My last 3 sails have been light speed and they all look very good after a couple of seasons.
We inherited a full suite of 3Di RAW with the new boat. The sails are from 2016, and the only thing the owner has replaced over the winter is the J-3, which had done a lot of work. Shape was fine, but it was starting to shed battens from abraded stitching etc. Nature of a J-3 is that when it's dropped for the downwind leg it doesn't get quite the care that the light wind sails get... Main is in very good condition, good enough for a class win at Cowes anyway, no doubt that it could do another season, at least, as our 1st line sail.

Light wind wise the J-1 seems fine, and is definitely worth a couple of 10ths over the older 3Di version that also came with the boat.

Seeing telltales is ok I find. The inner ones are large white things, and the jibs all have pretty large windows for outer telltales. Not found this to be an issue (I am the driver).