Spade connectors for ST60-style Seatalk

prv

Visit site
Ariam's current instrument fit is a haphazard collection of ST50 and a couple of ST60 units, connected together by a bizarre and untraceable spaghetti of cabling. I plan to replace most of the ST50s with some secondhand ST60s (bought on the forum) and redo the wiring from scratch. Because everything is second-hand, I don't have any of the "proper" flat seatalk connectors used for ST60 displays, but I understand that the actual receptacles in these plugs are standard, and available as individual crimp-on parts.

Does anyone know what term I should be searching for for these? They're somewhat similar to, but smaller than, standard spade connectors.

Also, I'm assuming that the transducers for ST50 speed and depth are compatible with the ST60 displays - but if anyone could confirm that it would be helpful. The wind display is already ST60.

Cheers,

Pete

Tranona

Visit site
Don't think there is anything special about them. I bought some in the chandlers in Cobbs Quay - appreciate not convenient for you, but would think any supplier dealing with the instruments would stock them. Failing that Raymarine will sell across the counter at Fareham. They will also tell you about transducers.

prv

Visit site
Don't think there is anything special about them.

No, neither do I, but I need some term to google for.

I'd be surprised if Raymarine sold the generic crimps rather than their own three-way plugs, and I don't want to pay for those.

Pete

Grumpybear

Visit site
No, neither do I, but I need some term to google for.

I'd be surprised if Raymarine sold the generic crimps rather than their own three-way plugs, and I don't want to pay for those.

Pete

I wouldn't be surprised. My boat has an original fit of ST60 instruments with a Navcenter 600 plotter and SL70 radar, all fitted by a dealer. Most of the connectors to the instruments in the binnacle and to the plotter are what look like standard spades (wider than the male lugs in the instruments), probably because the three pin plugs won't fit up the support tubes! The radar is mounted on the coach roof, with the three pin plug on the Seatalk cable at that end and spades at the other, because of the deck gland. Also, the three pin plugs are moulded to the cables, so may not be suitable for field fitting anyway.

prv

Visit site
the three pin plugs are moulded to the cables, so may not be suitable for field fitting anyway.

That's a good point. At least the older circular plugs (which I have lots of) would fit through relatively small holes.

I googled "mini spade connector" and found this:

$(KGrHqRHJCQE9q5g0PieBPcyBMRS7Q~~60_35.JPG

Narrower than the standard spade, so I guess could be what I'm after. Unless there are lots of different sizes out there.

Pete

Billjratt

Visit site
#ST 50 and ST60 mashead units are different. There's a male/female change on the masthead receptacle to make you aware of the difference, and something like 30% discrepancy in indicated windspeed according to a mate of mine.

prv

Visit site
#ST 50 and ST60 mashead units are different.

Good job I don't measure boat speed or water depth from the masthead, then :p :)

Actually, it's still a useful point. Although I'm not touching the wind setup, I should probably check that whoever installed the ST60 wind (assuming it's not original) didn't make that mistake.

Pete

Last edited:

Billjratt

Visit site
Good job I don't measure boat speed or water depth from the masthead, then :p :)

Actually, it's still a useful point. Although I'm not touching the wind setup, I should probably check that whoever installed the ST60 wind (assuming it's not original) didn't make that mistake.

Pete

Sorry, my short term memory doesn't work for a thread this long! I forgot which Xducers were in question.

laika

Visit site
Also, I'm assuming that the transducers for ST50 speed and depth are compatible with the ST60 displays - but if anyone could confirm that it would be helpful. The wind display is already ST60.

I've done it the other way round: I've got ST50s and had to replace a log transducer in a hurry, only the airmar st60 transducer was available. Had to replace the through-hull too, but works OK (so must be some compatibility) but the paddle wheel on the old one was much bigger than the new one, so I've got quite a big correction on the ST50 display. If you ever need to order the 3 pin st50 connectors from RS etc. I know what they are, but sadly not dealt with the ST60 flat types

www.bavariayacht.info
#ST 50 and ST60 mashead units are different...

That's odd, I recall a thread that said they were the same... found it, Post #17
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?337181-Raymarine-wind-speed-slowing-down

The 2.8mm connectors come in various tab thickness, but I'm pretty sure these fit:
http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/fdd1-110-5/red-2-8x0-5-female-push-on-100/dp/CN09885

I probably should get some, but I don't need 100, so I'm happy to sell off in small quantities at cost.

Last edited:

smth448

Visit site
We recently re-wired the connectors to our ST60s. We used 3mm spade connectors from RS components but these were NOT a perfect fit in that they needed opening out a bit. When contacted Raymarine said they supply 1/8" connectors.
I also have a stack of short (300mm) Seatalk cables complete with ends left over after the project. Send me PM if you would like me to post them to you.