Southwold to St Cats

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
I've got to deliver a Super van Craft from Southwold to St Cats next weekend - ish

47eebaec-bf1f-46db-b877-03169d66442f.2048.jpg

She came over from Holland by road and we've carried out a very quick internal refit to suit new owners.
I've not sailed one of these before but its essentially a big river boat and not known for its sea making abilities.
I believe she'll make 10 to 12 knts and cruise at 8 knts.

Usually I go round the outside of Gunfleet and go down Barrow Deep or the last time I went straight down Kings.
Been a couple of years since the last trip and I was wondering if this will still hold true given the expansion of the wind farms.

The plan was to go from Southwold to the Queenborough and then catch the next tide up to st cats.

Any thoughts or suggestions from the panel ?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
You could also pass close to Cork Sands, Wallet, across Gunfleet, Middle Deep, West Swin. A touch shorter and a bit closer to the coast, keeps the Crouch a bit closer in case of emergency.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
The trip went well
Kings and Barrow was easy , with no hassles.
Left Southwold at 09:30 on Monday, locked into Chatham Marina at 17:00 and due to the tide offset we carried it all the way.
Only raise in heart beat was entering the cross tide lock at Chatham, which is pretty tight when controlling a motor vessel made of crystal glass (OK, made of steel but she is very shiny)

Left Chatham at 11:00 and locked into St Kats at 16:00, again lock entrance caused a slight increase in blood pressure.

Here she is, firstly at Chatham and then parked at St Kat's alongside Chinda which is another of our restorations.
malika_2.jpg

malika_1.jpg

Last edited:

pks1702

Visit site
Two beautiful craft - credit to HMS Javelin.

The Broom on the port side as you look at the St Kat's 'parked' image made me smile and given the labour of love in varnishing these two maybe apt :encouragement:

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Great trip ,I’m looking to buy one like this myself and wondering how’s she’s cruising in the open seas?

I've just taken this Super Van Craft back up to St Katherine Docks for her new owners. For a vessel designed mostly for the Dutch waterways she handled the choppy wind over tide (W6) up Sea Reach very well. We throttled back a little to lessen any slamming but she punched through okay and remained comfortable. She's not quick by any means, but is certainly capable though best remembered she's not designed for the open sea. Coastal hopping with a weather eye just fine though.

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_1725084a.jpg
    IMG_20201010_1725084a.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 35

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Yep looking good, glad that the delivery trip went well, looking at the Photo, did you play that Debby Harry song along the difficult bits in the trip ? just to reasure you ?
The Tide is High?

Ha-ha, we did see a yacht well aground just before the Shoebury beacon. Miserable day to be sitting on the mud!

My next trip is down your way once the boat is ready. Mayflower Marina is our destination.