southerly115

howardclark

Visit site
I am considering buying a Mk 1 version for coastal sailing with my wife, 4 children and dog. Looks to have plenty of accomodation and a manageable rig (we are unashamedly fair weather sailors).
Any advice from current or ex owners?

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Southerly115s

We are two, plus adult children + girlfriends from time-to-time, plus Chloe our two year old (v.friendly) labrador.
We're just completing our first season in our S115, Jolly good, too. Design, etc. first class. Good helpful Owners Club. Dog gets craned up and down to/from the tender, using our davitts. Spectators love that! Dog puts up with it.

See previous thread/postings at :

http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/new/foru...=157991&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&part=

(BTW that's all one address - copy the whole two lines above as one thing and paste them into your browser's address box)

I'm still waiting for someone (more experienced? more critical?) to tell me what's wrong with Southerlies. Things that we're not happy about have nothing to do with the boat herself, and include sticky mailsail (un)furling and an anchor windlass (release mechanism) with a mind of its own.

Grehan

Sammy

Visit site
Re: Southerly115s

I sailed for many years on a pal of mines 115. Although they are not everybodies cup of tea. I find it very difficult to find too much fault with them.
I do find that the motion can be a bit harsh due to the wide waterline beam and they do like to be sailed upright. (Whats wrong with that). They are not all that good close to the wind either, but the engine pushes her along nicely.
The ability to raise the keel and dry out or to float in a couple of feet of water to me would be the selling point.
The trouble is all boats are a compromise and what you gain in one area you lose in another.
Huge space inside wide beam plenty of deck area for sun bathing the great double bed cabin aft all super points.
Uncomfortable in a rough sea, can be a bit wet and a high exposed cockpit, poor pointing ability, the interior to my mind is not cosy but the gally is brilliant exept when rough as I said not everybody likes them myself included but a capable cruiser they certainly are.
That sticky mainsail has always been a problem try putting a new rope on the roller and replace the nylon spacers/bearings it does help.
Good sailing.

G

Only just seen your message
We [2 adults and 2 children 7&5] have had our S1 S115 [1986, Bukh 36] for 3 seasons and think it is great.
Previous boats: Hurley 22, Sadler 26, 11 ton old gaffer then [with children] the Southerly.
In my view
they are well built with care [and you can phone up Northshore and have any queries answered straightaway],
the lifting keel is great [ensure it has the electric conversion on the S1],
the engine [Bukh] is the best available,
she sails well [considerable difference with clean bottom, pull up keel when running for greater speed !]
Accomodation we find to be excellent with considerable storage.

Downsides:
the shallow rudder which makes you work hard in a large following sea - manageable
Sheers around a bit under anchor in a wind
Wind driven at low speed - bows blow off -

For the use to which most boats are put the in-built compromises are such as to produce an excellent boat in my view.
If you want to discuss more
andrew@marshall500.freeserve.co.uk