Southampton Boat Show - meeting place

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Yes it does seem it's budget related. I've had countless PM's , emails and phone calls. Even asked what colour I would like the flag to be. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I suggested that they would be better off, if they just bought a flag, then could see it. With art work provided. God it's been posted on the forums often enough. Told it was nearly imposible for IPC to send a cheque for £13. So I gave in, beaten down. Sent a flag off to them today. FOC. Apparently they were going to make the burgee, red and white. On the grounds that the art work was in red and the ummm! computer screen was white??? Disregarding the fact that it depends what cotton you stick in the machine.?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So at great expense this end. IPC have been PM'd art work. Emailed art work, we have had it on floppy and also on disk. They have now got a free bloody flag for there marketing campaign

At no time have IPC showed any interest, or could be bothered with what there forum flag actually looks like.

But would have looked a bit silly white and red, instead of blue and yellow, would not it.

Sorry for the rant and oppologies to, whateverhisnamewith aboat

But it is the forum flag, not mine or yours. It's not done for proffit. But by the forum, for the forum and done by forum members.

It's nothing to do with money. Ive got £13 squid to spare. But an IPC marketing manage with a boat, and cant find it one way or the other, I'm in dispair.

These forums have provided alot of good over the years. Some folk nothing to do with IPC have put alot of work into them. Made them interesting, or informative. But IPC dont think it's worth while to spend 13 miseable little squid plus SAE 44p of course. On there own little flag.

Sorry. Pissed off.

G

I can see why you've got annoyed. I'm on a training course today (and not online) but will bring this to the attention of the marketing dept.

If the worst comes to the worst I will send you the money (I know it's not about the money!) and claim it back on expenses. Sorry for the balls-up Haydn.

Richard's seen this reply now and will respond at lunchtime when he gets out of his training course.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Ok here we go, after nearly 8 years with IPC as Marketing Manager monitoring the forums on a daily basis this is the first time I have posted in response to a post. The reason? I am absolute amazed at the response by Haydn aka Hlb.

Yes I completely understand what I am letting myself in for, yes I know I will be shot down in flames and yes it goes against everything I stand for but I feel I need to put my side across and explain what actually happened.......

Firstly a bit of background, I am a boater who just happens to be in a job that involves boating and the industry as a whole. My department is responsible amongst other things for organising the IPC Media presence at no less that 25+ events a year including London and Southampton, why am I telling you this? well its through these events that we have met many readers and forum contributors over the years so this forum and its activities are no stranger to us.

Now the flag......As you may know ybw.com celebrates its 10th anniversary this year and as Southampton was its birth place so to speak it made sense to celebrate this fact at the forthcoming Southampton Boat Show.

Firstly we have incorporated the ybw.com stand into the main flow of other IPC stands along the front (E1 - E4) secondly we have placed our fantastic competition prizes on the stand for all to see and enter if they have not already done so. Thirdly we recognize that an awful lot of forum members attend the show to meet up with one another.

It is with this in mind that we thought about doing something this year as it really has been the first year that we have had the space (not the budget) to do something on any noticeable scale, hence the flag for starters....

Some points in my defence.

There have not been countless emials and phone calls requesting this that and the other, you very kindly sent me the art work as a jpeg file that was red on a white background. Having seen the flag I knew this was the wrong colour and asked you what colour you would like it to be so we got it correct and in keeping with the actual flag. I see nothing wrong with trying to respect the forum and get their, and it is theirs, flag correct.

It has never been about the budget, the reason I could not get a cheque to Hlb was because Southampton takes place in just over four weeks time, in order to raise a cheque I would have to go through the long winded process that any large organization has to get this raised and sent to you in time for a.) you to receive it, b.) you to dispatch it, c.) me to receive it, d.) me to get one made and e.) to have it made and delivered in time for the start of the show on the 14th.

This was to tight and therefore I could not take the risk. I could have sent you my own cheque but rather embarrassingly I dont actually own a cheque book and have not done so in about three years, yes that is my fault I hold my hands up.

Funny enough I dont see anything in there about the offer of free tickets to either Southampton or London Boat Show or the fact I would send the flag straight back to you after copying it.

Sorry for the rant but its only fair I defend my department and put my side across, whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you.

As for the marketing campaign, well the whole idea of the flag was to be a way that forum members would be able to meet up or to have a central meeting place.

There was nothing sinister behind this it was simply a gesture or thank you to the forum members who make it what it is. It was supposed to be a secret until we had added the finishing touches and other snippets we were going to offer forum members off the stand. One of which included alcohol which requires various licenses etc which we are in the process of trying to sort thats why there has been no further announcement as yet.

What I will say is that ALL forum members are welcome on the stand at any point throughout the show and I hope to have something on there for you. But to avoid disappointment I will not be in a position to let you know what that will be just yet!

If you would like to discuss any of the above in further detail, you can call or email me on the following.

Thank you

Richard Shead
richard_shead@ipcmedia.com
Tel 0203 148 4283

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

As for the marketing campaign, well the whole idea of the flag was to be a way that forum members would be able to meet up or to have a central meeting place.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have stuck my idea of everyone wearing a string of onions and carrying a baguette under their arm.

A much cheaper option IMHO.

I like the idea of the alcohol and will certainly be visiting the stand.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Yes I shall be at Southampton with my team, we will be based on stands E1-E4.

You will catch us doing all manor of things from selling magazines, manning the till, cleaning or helping readers. Not all staff on the stand are students with so called no knowledge!

One of the best parts of this job is really getting involved on the stand and getting stuck in!

I look forward to meeting you all at some point.

Regards

Richard Shead

Allan

Visit site
When considering how use you budget please consider paying for a celebrity to attend the show. Of course she should be there for the whole show and be given an allowance for new shoes. We then need to have a vote on who the candidates should be!
Allan

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

You will catch us doing all manor (sic) of things from selling magazines,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good job you magazine people have spelling checkers! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

landaftaf

Visit site
yeah - welcome newby /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i look forward to meeting you - one question, why do you think you will need to clean the readers ?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Sorry for the rant. An odd whiskey or two perhaps sent me over the top.

It just seemed so strange. I got the art work and sent it by PM. Oh, never mind.

Art Work.

Burgee.jpg

But it's not a red and white flag.

Its' yellow and blue.

I thought you should have known that. So asking me what colour I would like the Boat show flag, had me confused. It's everyone's flag, I'm just the organizer.

ZZZZ006.jpg

Hope that clears things up.

Yer flags in the post.

Again, sorry for the rant, suppose Ijust got a bit upset, or miffed. Oh hell, I buy you a pint.

landaftaf

Visit site
ppsssttt

are you going to use the free tickets ?

you can pm me if you want /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
No Problem just felt I had to say something!

I will gladly buy you a beer!

Since the last posting we are a little closer to offering Forum members a little something off the stand.

We may even have a SBS forum in the run up as well.

Will keep you posted.

Richard

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ahhhhh, so nice to see an argument with a Happy ending !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no. I was looking for a Haydn Vs Richard fisticuffs event in front of the ybw stand, both sides being cheered on fuelled with IPC provided alcohol.

I've even opened a book in anticipation.