Southampton Boat show - Go early or towards the end?

KevO

Visit site
Dumb question probably but it is best to go in the first few days of a boat show or towards the very end? Have a number of relatively large expense items to scope out. Best prices likely at the start or later? :unsure:

prv

Visit site
Traditionally there were deals to be had towards the end on stock that exhibitors didn’t want to bother taking home. I’m not sure how much that’s still true, and in any case the show hasn’t been about discount chandlery odds and sods for years, not since it became far more convenient to order that kind of thing online. “Large expense items“ also sound like something you order rather than carry away under your arm? In which case there may be a show discount but it probably won’t vary from day to day.

Pete

pvb

Visit site
Dumb question probably but it is best to go in the first few days of a boat show or towards the very end? Have a number of relatively large expense items to scope out. Best prices likely at the start or later? :unsure:

Just email the potential suppliers with your requirements and ask for their best quote including any show discounts.

Boathook

Visit site
Personally I think the days of big discounts at boat shows has gone. What they are good for is seeing what is available and what you like and does it do what you want it to.
When I got my raymarine plotter etc I was also looking at furuno.
I ended up getting raymarine from Rowlands marine electronics in North Wales who are as cheap as anyone else (when asked to match prices), helped to 'design' system, etc. Just a happy customer!

KevO

Visit site
Thanks all... I think you're right that the real value will be in seeing what is out there and how potential items compare to each other in the flesh so to speak I suppose. T'was just a thought :unsure:

lustyd

Visit site
If you’re planning to install those items this winter then it might already be too late to order, I certainly wouldn’t wait for the show. Stock is almost non existent thanks to covid, shipping and Brexit issues this year. I’ve had a radar on order for 2 1/2 months and have yet to even get a delivery estimate!

PhillM

Visit site
Must admit I find a lot of the sellers pretty useless. very few have ever bothered to talk to me. Usually I am alone and I dont dress to impress, I’m just me. Last show I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy a new 35 footer and do a single handed Atlantic circuit or do the Clipper. Almost of the sellers seemed offhand and uninterested.

As it happens the clipper was scuppered by Covid and my new parter likes the idea of a boat somewhere warm. So it looks like a AWB is on the cards. Meantime, as you know, I’ve got a little XOD to play with at weekends.

Sandy

Visit site
If you’re planning to install those items this winter then it might already be too late to order, I certainly wouldn’t wait for the show. Stock is almost non existent thanks to covid, shipping and Brexit issues this year. I’ve had a radar on order for 2 1/2 months and have yet to even get a delivery estimate!
Odd, I had a new radar delivered in 14 days. Are you sure the supplier is not pulling the wool?

lustyd

Visit site
Navico didn’t seem to think so, and it’s not just the radar either it’s pretty much everything and all out of stock at every shop

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Several times I've been to talk to sailmakers at the show and usually received quotes with a "show discount" valid for orders placed up to a month after the end of the show.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Personally I think the days of big discounts at boat shows has gone. What they are good for is seeing what is available and what you like and does it do

I’ve noticed this too: even waiting for the following year to get a ‘show discount’ on a new sail seemed to be worth little in discount from the previous sailmaker or any others that were exhibiting.

LiftyK

Visit site
I used to enjoy buying stuff at the show but, as others note, there’s not actually much stuff to buy and take home these days. Its a great place to get advice though. Some offers I recall from my last visit: discount when ordering sails for winter production, discounts offered on sailing holidays, and my favourite: a great discount voucher offered by ASAP supplies, valid until the following Easter. ASAP had many useful items on their stand that you could get your hands on and investigate. e.g. diesel filters and butyl pipe for loo plumbing.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I'm very happy that I'm no longer in the business of having to be on a stand for days on end with people thinking you are only there to give them cheap stuff.

Especially with dog breath everywhere. .......?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I've had an email from MDL saying that they wont be at the Boat Show this year but one can visit them at Ocean Village. I know that marinas are petty full and MDL have been somewhat competing on the Boat Show front but it does surprise me that they will not be there.

lustyd

Visit site
Given that Ocean Village couldn't fit me in on a rainy Friday last week I assume it's because they're full and don't need the money. If they can't be arsed with the boat show expect a 10% rise in fees next year (which, given the inflation Covid is causing, won't be too surprising anyway)