South with Scott

Little Dorrit

Visit site
Written by Rear-Admiral Edward R. G. R. Evans one of the few people who went with Scott before leaving the final five to continue to the pole. Difficult at times to follow the various facets of the journey but a cracking read which had me riveted.

Little Dorrit

Visit site
I very strongly recommend 'The Worst Journey in the World' by Apsley Cherry-Garrard, if you haven't already read it.

He was also on the Scott expedition (the 'worst journey' wasn't the even the trek to the Pole, by the way). Very thoughtful, informative, and beautifully written.

Thanks fot the suggestion it is already on my reading list and waiting on my Kindle. I have to say books about the expedition should really come with a health warning and are not for the feint-hearted. They do however put our current hardships into petspective.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I'm not sure the Kindle version will do it justice. To get yourself in the mood you really need to read a dog-eared hard-back paper version by oil lamp (preferably whale oil), with the yellowed, mite specked pages reeking of must and stale pipe smoke, while sitting on a hard chair in a windowless wooden shed while the wind rattles the door and roof. ;)

P.S. Do you miss out on the photographs with the Kindle version?

Last edited:

Little Dorrit

Visit site
I'm not sure the Kindle version will do it justice. To get yourself in the mood you really need to read a dog-eared hard-back paper version by oil lamp (preferably whale oil), with the yellowed, mite specked pages reeking of must and stale pipe smoke, while sitting on a hard chair in a windowless wooden shed while the wind rattles the door and roof. ;)

P.S. Do you miss out on the photographs with the Kindle version?
Also worth reading:

"Cherry: a life of Apsley Cherry-Garrard" by Sara Wheeler (2001)

Cherry
Damn you both, more books to buy. The Kindle pictures are not very good so for that reason alone a hard copy is required. Note to self "don't post on forum without checking bank balance and available shelf space"