South Devon Meet - Jan 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Hi All,

Following on from the thread in the Mobo forum, I'm proposing a South Devon meet for beer or two on Wednesday 4th January 2012.

A couple of forumites suggested the Thatched Tavern at Maidencombe. There's been no other more popular suggestions so I think it's a winner by a mile! I'll aim to be there myself from 7pm and will make myself known at the bar so come along anytime to suit and ask for me if you don't know any other forumites. I'll contact the pub beforehand and let them know we are coming, unless the 'locals' would rather to do this? (Commission perhaps? :D)

Everyone welcome, but would perhaps be helpful if you post here if you are coming and how many in your party as pub may ask and I'm sure would appreciate approximate numbers.

The Thatched Tavern offers a great food menu up until 9pm for those who wish to dine. It is situated on the Teignmouth Road between Torquay and Shaldon. Website here --> http://www.thethatchedtaverndevon.co.uk/

There's no mention on website of a need to book tables in in advance for food and I can't believe a Wednesday in January will be packed, but perhaps best to call first to avoid disappointment. :)

Any questions, please feel free to post here or send me a PM if you prefer.

We hope to make this a regular event and also arrange some on-the-water meets and cruises later in the year too. If you are unable to make this meet, but still interested in future ones, please feel free to introduce yourself by posting here!

Ripster

Visit site
Well done for setting this group up. I have the same problem as some others and am not local to Devon so can't make that. Tend to be around at a WE's only this time of year. Be interested to know how it all goes and what ideas are up for some cruising event next season.

tangerine

www.normanwhite.co.uk
sounds really good. Im away during the week but will make every effort to be at Maidencombe in Jan. There is access from the pub/restaurant to the beach below ,making it good for summer meets by boat. Its a very nice venue,with a big selection of food and booze.

Hurricane

Visit site
Great idea
However - there's a problem.
The Thatched Tavern is NoviceRod and my local and it is a great place to meet but the landlord is taking the opportunity to go on their annual holiday.
And - yes - you unfortunately chose the day they are leaving.

I've just double checked - spoke to Fiona, the landlady and she would very much like us to meet there though.

So, unfortunately the Thatched Tavern will be closed from the 4th of Jan for the rest of January.

The 3rd January would be a bad day as well - we are planning a local residennts meeting in the Tavern.

Shame - if I was in your position, I'd probably have made the same mistake.

Maybe bring the daye forward - perhaps between Xmas and the New Year.

Mike

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Oops!

Hi All,

Apologies for hiccup on venue - didn't occur to me that they might close down! Thanks Mike for checking and sounding them out. I think it's worth looking at The Thatched Tavern for February perhaps?

How about we do the Penn Inn at Newton Abbot for the first meet - easy to find and fairly central?

It's also become apparant that many local boat owners don't actually live locally and my assumption that the other groups choice of midweek evenings was tried and tested was flawed for an area like South Devon!

I propose that we still meet on the 4th and then one Sunday evening in February at Thatched Tavern perhaps? How would this suit those of you who commute to their boats? Is a Sunday night any better? How often does everyone want a meet - once a month, once every other month?

Thanks to everyone who's responded - I've had a quick look at locations for everyone who's joined the group (27) and of those who specified a location (for themselves or boat), 7 are in Torbay, 6 in or around the Dart, 2 in the Teign, 5 further out and 5 unspecified. As we have such exceptional coastline and some first class waterside pubs, it's probably more interesting if we alternate a few venues too?

Best regards,

NoviceRod

Visit site
Apologies for the silence - I have been in the USA for a few days.

Hurricane has alerted you to the Thatched Tavern closing for their annual hol on 4th Jan, but SWMBO and I will be pleased to meet at the Penn Inn instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.