South Coast Marinas

jimmiboy

Visit site
There is cheap, and then there is cheap. What are your requirements? How big is the boat likely to be and does it have to even be a marina? Is tidal access ok for you, or do you want to be able to get on and go whenever suits? You will pay for convenience - both in terms of access and location.

Don't dismiss Lymington - despite having a reputation as the most expensive, it can actually work out cheaper than many other marinas, particularly the Hamble. I prefer the Haven over Berthon, but both are good and well placed. Beaulieu is also an option, but I don't personally care for the trip up and down the river each time.

Think also about whether you could sub-let a berth (MDL funded much of their expansion by selling leases of berths, many of which are unused by their owners). Brokers of such sub-lets (and MDL) will try to convince you that they can only sub-let to you at their headline rate less the VAT, but that is not legally correct (if they were to press on that, there is a good argument that they are in breach of competition law/price fixing).

A river mooring on the Hamble is incredibly cheap. Depends on what you buy and whether you want walk-on/off and electricity, but is a budget option. Equally, the higher on the Itchen you go, the lower the prices.

Then, there are the sailing clubs - we are at the Royal Southern which is absolutely first rate. Best mini-marina in the country in my view. You need to be a member first and then try to secure a mooring which wouldn't be instant. There is also the RAFYC next door - might be worth asking them, although walk-on berths are likely to all be taken.
I quite like the sound of a mooring on the Hamble, I need to have a drive around and visit a few places, as my friends boat is at Chichester Premier and I can’t afford that. I’m looking at getting something around 20, I’ve also looked at the idea of a swinging mooring at Itchenor. If anyone has any experience or opinions l would love to hear them.
Cheers

Soco2

Visit site
I quite like the sound of a mooring on the Hamble, I need to have a drive around and visit a few places, as my friends boat is at Chichester Premier and I can’t afford that. I’m looking at getting something around 20, I’ve also looked at the idea of a swinging mooring at Itchenor. If anyone has any experience or opinions l would love to hear them.
Cheers
Swing mooring on itchenor reach is cheap and pretty but it’s a real pain getting all your stuff on and off, you probably have two options, the harbour taxi to take you out or you can park at westlands and have a dingy there to row out But it can be a muddy pain there at low tides! Personally I wouldn’t do a swing mooring again. Boat was hit in the night once and required repair.

Switch

Visit site
I was at Wicor for a season. Back then there was no walk ashore pontoon so it was a real pain but it was much cheaper than the other Portsmouth/Gosport marinas. Now they have a walk ashore pontoon I think it would be a good choice. Not many mobo's there so they are very sailing boat focussed.