South Coast Marinas

jimmiboy

Visit site
I’m currently looking for my first “proper” boat and berth. I’m not on a limitless budget so was wondering if anyone can advise on the cheaper marinas. Or are all prices very similar?

jimmiboy

Visit site
Anywhere between Bournemouth and Eastbourne would be ok. Facilities wise i’m not too fussed. I just need to try and keep the cost down as much as possible

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
OK. Well I have personal experience of Eastbourne, kept my boat there for a year or so. It's big, plenty of facilities, and about the least costly of Premier's. Can definitely recomment it if you are happy with the location.

bedouin

Visit site
The further away from the Solent the cheaper - so probably areas like Eastbourne, Brighton, Newhaven, Littlehampton, Shoreham will all be cheaper than Solent prices. Or if you can go further east then Ramsgate or Dover.

In the Solent area swinging moorings are much cheaper and there are several places that have restricted access or are stuck away in odd places that are a considerable saving too. (Wicor Marine, Hayling Yacht Company to name a couple)

nicho

Visit site
Port Solent and Chichester are among the cheapest from the big two marina operators. Cheap is not the right word really, but Port Solent annual is around £6400 for a 10.8 metre boat. Anything in the Hamble is more expensive, as is I believe Lymington.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
There is cheap, and then there is cheap. What are your requirements? How big is the boat likely to be and does it have to even be a marina? Is tidal access ok for you, or do you want to be able to get on and go whenever suits? You will pay for convenience - both in terms of access and location.

Don't dismiss Lymington - despite having a reputation as the most expensive, it can actually work out cheaper than many other marinas, particularly the Hamble. I prefer the Haven over Berthon, but both are good and well placed. Beaulieu is also an option, but I don't personally care for the trip up and down the river each time.

Think also about whether you could sub-let a berth (MDL funded much of their expansion by selling leases of berths, many of which are unused by their owners). Brokers of such sub-lets (and MDL) will try to convince you that they can only sub-let to you at their headline rate less the VAT, but that is not legally correct (if they were to press on that, there is a good argument that they are in breach of competition law/price fixing).

A river mooring on the Hamble is incredibly cheap. Depends on what you buy and whether you want walk-on/off and electricity, but is a budget option. Equally, the higher on the Itchen you go, the lower the prices.

Then, there are the sailing clubs - we are at the Royal Southern which is absolutely first rate. Best mini-marina in the country in my view. You need to be a member first and then try to secure a mooring which wouldn't be instant. There is also the RAFYC next door - might be worth asking them, although walk-on berths are likely to all be taken.

Reality61

Visit site
MDL Cobbs Quay in Poole is one of the cheapest on the South Coast as it has the bridge to get out. If you are small enough or have say a Windy 34 the bridge is not relevant, also dry stack available dependent on size. The bonus is fuel at cost like other chains but also free berthing in all the other MDL marinas ie Hamble, Torquay etc. The other plus for Poole is the harbour which means even on a windy day you can find somewhere to hide.
Weymouth or Portland are also cheap but Weymouth has no Petrol and a bridge also. Portland has everything but very quiet as out on a limb there.
The Solent is an hour from Poole by Boat and if you want to go further afield the Channel Islands are only 4 hours away. They also have a system called passport Escales which gives you two nights free in most of the French marinas.
If you want to go to Poole I could introduce you and happy to split the finders fee I would get with you. Let me know.

bedouin

Visit site
I was in Chichester for some time, I loved it. It's cheaper, about 70% of the Hamble prices, but the downside is 75 minutes to the sea and in a yacht, half a day to get to Cowes.
I also loved being in Chichester but you forget (a) having to wait to lock in and out and (b) the lack of water meaning it was impossible to leave the berth at all around neaps sometimes

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Yes, both true. Never got stuck on the berth (we were on G with 1,7m draft) but we'd plan the weekends around the rising tides. Came back in once a bit early and got stuck in the channel for 40 minutes, bit embarrassing.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Quite some time ago we went hard aground on a lump of shingle just outside the lock and spent several hours there waiting for the tide to turn. We subsequently learnt this could be avoided by keeping nearer the waiting pontoon at the 'knuckle'

Fortunately this allowed a helpful individual from the yacht club armed with a boat hook to clear the plastic bag which was wrapped around the prop and we did receive offers of somebody collecting a take away on our behalf.

bedouin

Visit site
Yes, both true. Never got stuck on the berth (we were on G with 1,7m draft) but we'd plan the weekends around the rising tides. Came back in once a bit early and got stuck in the channel for 40 minutes, bit embarrassing.
I was about half way down D with 1.8 m draft. I remember trying to set out one friday of a BH weekend and getting 2 feet before getting stuck. The marina confirmed no chance of more water until off neaps but didn't think they had any responsibility.

I did switch the following season to a berth a couple in from the end of F or G and didn't have a problem again but the episode contributed to my decision to move. It seemed that the berth holders had become secondary to the management's intentions.

As a location to go and sit on the boat without moving Chichester is second to none, which is a good thing as that is what you find yourself doing a lot if you berth there.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Quite some time ago we went hard aground on a lump of shingle just outside the lock and spent several hours there waiting for the tide to turn. We subsequently learnt this could be avoided by keeping nearer the waiting pontoon at the 'knuckle'

Fortunately this allowed a helpful individual from the yacht club armed with a boat hook to clear the plastic bag which was wrapped around the prop and we did receive offers of somebody collecting a take away on our behalf.
It's quite instructive to look at the exposed mud in the channel at low water springs, it helped me have some idea of how to manoeuvre to avoid the worst of it...

1590752344044.png

Been dredged recently (winter - spring 2019/20) so will be better for a while.

paradave

Visit site
I remember coming into Chichester in a small cuddy years ago and feeling the prop churning mud when it was trimmed right up. Would hate to be there on a bigger boat.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Has Chi marina basin ever been dredged?

If the place is slowly silting up then pumping flood water off adjacent fields into it during the winter won't have helped