Some days the force is not with you. But Hey!!

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Living in a place with warm air, blue skies and blue seas is.....not always what it's cracked up to be. ?

You have to take the roughers. Despite t shirt and shorts, brisk winds and bumpy seas can still be a challenge. Especially when a normal two hour trip turns out with SOG average around 2.5 knots. to be over four.

Got a lift out booked tomorrow morning 0830 round at Puerto Calero on my oppos Sigma 33. So left back end of lunchtime from Rubicon with stiff trade winds having been set for a while. Well kinda like expected, a good tough uphill battle ensued with a chunky old seawater cooled Volvo banging away to see us through. Like being out on the water? Lovely. Tend towards seasick ..... Me crew...... Let me die. ?
However he made a great recovery inside the harbour, docked with dignity and watched me drink beer that he didn't fancy! Full marks too when job done around Wednesday, downhill with fresh anti foul, he's up for the return. Impressed.

So 0715 car ride back to Calero in the morning. Shift into travel hoist for all them lot to lift, , clean, do all the painty stuff. my work is done until trip back. Luxury. Captains perks. ??

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
Living in a place with warm air, blue skies and blue seas is.....not always what it's cracked up to be. ?

You have to take the roughers. Despite t shirt and shorts, brisk winds and bumpy seas can still be a challenge. Especially when a normal two hour trip turns out with SOG average around 2.5 knots. to be over four.

Got a lift out booked tomorrow morning 0830 round at Puerto Calero on my oppos Sigma 33. So left back end of lunchtime from Rubicon with stiff trade winds having been set for a while. Well kinda like expected, a good tough uphill battle ensued with a chunky old seawater cooled Volvo banging away to see us through. Like being out on the water? Lovely. Tend towards seasick ..... Me crew...... Let me die. ?
However he made a great recovery inside the harbour, docked with dignity and watched me drink beer that he didn't fancy! Full marks too when job done around Wednesday, downhill with fresh anti foul, he's up for the return. Impressed.

So 0715 car ride back to Calero in the morning. Shift into travel hoist for all them lot to lift, , clean, do all the painty stuff. my work is done until trip back. Luxury. Captains perks. ??
You should translate that into haiku. You seemed to almost get there. It might be better if done correctly.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Impressed as always with the boatyard at Calero. We arrived around 8, plenty early......they were prepping travel hoist. By out 0830 booked time, boat was ashore being pressure washed!

Fouling not bad at all for over two years......except for folding prop. Kinda knew that whys we were slow even punching 30 knot winds! Looking forward to return trip on Wednesday or Thursday. Scorchio! ?

lustyd

Visit site
Living in a place with warm air, blue skies and blue seas is.....not always what it's cracked up to be.
Does anyone sailing around those islands expect it to be easy? One of the breeziest places I've been, I'd expect it to be quite a challenging place to sail so by your comment I assume it's usually less bad than I'd expect?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Does anyone sailing around those islands expect it to be easy? One of the breeziest places I've been, I'd expect it to be quite a challenging place to sail so by your comment I assume it's usually less bad than I'd expect?
That's the point. Summer here with trade winds blowing is often brisk. Not for everyone. Several charter companies over the years have tried operations and gave up. The wind acceleration zones between the bigger islands often give brisk winds and bumpy seas. But fab if you enjoy quick sailing in blue seas and sunshine. ?

However, there are lots of weeks of the year when it's not honking and is great for more gentle cruising. However we knew what yesterday was gonna do. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. ??

HissyFit

Visit site
You should translate that into haiku. You seemed to almost get there. It might be better if done correctly.

あつ空気、
青い空と海、
仕方ない。

Atsu kuuki,
Aoi sora to umi,
Shikata nai.

Hot air,
Blue sky and sea,
It can't be helped.

Note: not haiku when translated.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Brilliant whereisit.
Wonder of more like a ferry than pleasure steamer . The bow looks like it pushes a lot .Perhaps doubles as a tug. Don't think they had used pirelli tyres then which might be help. Perhaps the bow blessed with India Rubber ?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Easy Splash.

Boat in slings when I arrived, our painter had finished the chock pad areas, ready to go. I paid the bill as the travel hoist manouvered over the dock. Hopped on and lower away. A few seconds to vent shaft seal, engine on and away.

What a difference in manouvering and speed with a nice clean prop. And as above, found enough breeze to sail for an hour or so downwind under Genoa.

Beats working for a living.......?