SOL's Global Challenge 2012-2013

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Got to go out on a furniture moving mission that'll take most of the day shortly

Why do I have this sneaky feeling that my astonishing rise to the low 60's in the DTF sweepstakes is about to be followed by an equally amazing descent into the depths of the back runners? :eek::D:cool:

Spyro

Visit site
Got to go out on a furniture moving mission that'll take most of the day shortly

Why do I have this sneaky feeling that my astonishing rise to the low 60's in the DTF sweepstakes is about to be followed by an equally amazing descent into the depths of the back runners? :eek::D:cool:

It's easy to get to the front but you usually end up in the wrong place for the long term. I know I was 2nd for a while but knew it wouldn't last. When I realised West was best it was to late to get out there. Interesting that all the leading boats on DTF are the ones that are in the worst position right now. In 3 or 4 days it will look a bit more realistic.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
It's easy to get to the front but you usually end up in the wrong place for the long term. I know I was 2nd for a while but knew it wouldn't last. When I realised West was best it was to late to get out there. Interesting that all the leading boats on DTF are the ones that are in the worst position right now. In 3 or 4 days it will look a bit more realistic.

I mucked up on the first day really and have been badly positioned ever since. Had no illusions about the spurios rise into the low 60's in the DTF rankings, now I'm falling back and back as expected as the boats out to the West in the better winds start to get closer to the next mark

Probably yet another mistake right now but I'm sacrificing short term gain to get further offshore in order to get better winds later today. Don't suppose it'll come off but it's better than sitting in the dead zone watching everybody gradually creep past me :)

Martin_J

Visit site
There is still a long way to go.

Whoever is slightly to the East might do better immediately after the doldrums.

The weather keeps changing in the Southern Atlantic... so it's anyones guess.

ybw_mjm

sarabande

Visit site
Martin - can you sell that fleet out to the west a dummy and head for the E side of the ITCZ ? :)

I still have a yen to go via S America and the trade route, and within the next 100 miles it's decision time....

Martin_J

Visit site
Sarabande..

I hate to have to say it.. but West really is usually best at this point. The challenge is going to be where exactly to hit the ITCZ because the wind south of it really is changeable.

I'm sure it's going to be rather West of where you are now to avoid beating into wind all the way to the Cape.

mjm

Spyro

Visit site
I should have been out of this high by now. But it's getting bigger and swallowing me up the forecast 2 days ago showed it a lot smalller. The boats that were just west of me have got away. It's going to be an interesting race ahead between the African coast boats and the ones heading for Brazil. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the middle. :(

Martin_J

Visit site
Booby... I think you're headed in the right direction.

I'd prefer to be where you are than the African coast.

Should I be concerned about Trev though trying to sneak around to the West?

Still a few thousand miles to go!

ybw_mjm

Dipper

Visit site
I've gone a bit too far west and the recent forecast has put the wind a bit more on the nose. I think Trev is best positioned.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Well, I reckon I've pretty comprehensively stuffed up :cool:

In totally the wrong place, hardly moving and being overtaken by just about everyone

Why does that remind me of the real world so much :eek:;)

Dipper

Visit site
Look on the bright side. When I raced a Hurley 22 I used to feel sorry for all the fast sailors who were in the clubhouse whilst I was still out on the water.